Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: How to have Poker Tracker not bog your computer

It will help, but simply replacing your hard drive will do the same. It's not going to totally stop it, just recover faster.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will help, but simply replacing your hard drive will do the same. It's not going to totally stop it, just recover faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the faintest inkling of an idea of what you are actually talking about?

I could understand your first post, since a lack of RAM would cause a lot of disk swaps for virtual memory, but with this second post you are just talking out your ass.

The best way to speed up Pokertracker is to compact your databases and then defragment your hard drive, but yes, an 8MB SATA drive will be an improvement over a 7200 RPM IDE drive. More RAM is not much of a help since Pokertracker DBs are generally several hundred megabytes in size so for most desktop computers, it will always have to hit the swapfile...
Old 03-17-2005, 08:49 PM

i always compact my databases and still have some bad slow-downs in there sometimes (have been playing tourneys lately....haven't been using PT or GT+ during these).

I have no idea what 'defragment your hard drive' means
Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Go to the start menu then look for the System tools folder it should be under programs/acessories. Click on Disk Defragmenter. Things should be pretty self explanatory from there. If you haven't used it ever it might take awhile the first time so you might want to let it run overnight. Running it should speed up pretty much everything and is well worth doing at least once a month or so.

I've also noticed pokertracker bog down at seemingly random times. I also ocassionally notide that when it's auto-importing from party there will be an error during import. I'm wondering if the slow downs have any correlation with these import errors? Anyone ever pay attention to that?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:25 PM

it basically reorganizes the data sectors on your hard drive...when you use files they become segmented and detached...if you right click on your drive and go to tools (i think) you can choose to defrag and it should speed up some processes...or a tool like norton systemworks has speed disk which does the same thing...
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the faintest inkling of an idea of what you are actually talking about?

I could understand your first post, since a lack of RAM would cause a lot of disk swaps for virtual memory, but with this second post you are just talking out your ass.

The best way to speed up Pokertracker is to compact your databases and then defragment your hard drive, but yes, an 8MB SATA drive will be an improvement over a 7200 RPM IDE drive. More RAM is not much of a help since Pokertracker DBs are generally several hundred megabytes in size so for most desktop computers, it will always have to hit the swapfile...

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeeeeasy son, the OP is trying to be helpful and your comments are waaaay over the line. If you're a computer expert, then contribute, but don't bash someone trying to give useful advice.

Onaflag..........
Old 03-17-2005, 10:54 PM

the 'error during import' means that one of the hands that you played had a brief disconnection while you were playing it so the full hand-history is not on your hard-drive. the interruption of just one hand means that hand won't get imported and won't be in pokertracker.

if you are getting a lot of these then that indicates you are missing quite a few hands.

you can request an e-mail of your past 100 hands and then have ptracker import them from there...the e-mail will contain the complete HH....and when you do this you will see how many hands it missed (since it will only import the hands that it doesn't have).

will look into the defragmenting thing. thanks for the advice.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I must know nothing about computers. My whole professional career means absolutely nothing; because I don't know what I'm talking about here. You must know it all.

Anyone who would like to know why defragmenting your hard drive will not help as much as a hard drive twice the speed, feel free to PM me.

Somone once said "Never argue with an idiot. The innocent bystander can't tell who is who."
Old 04-07-2005, 12:55 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
an 8MB SATA drive will be an improvement over a 7200 RPM IDE drive

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems to imply that sata drives are inherently faster than pata drives, which is false. modern ata disks aren't coming close to the bandwidth ceilings yet, and even if they were it would only impact str which isn't a big deal use-wise.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do yourself a big favor. Download PerfectDisk 7.0 and run it a couple times a week until the free trial runs out. Be sure to run the Offline Defragment too – it will gather up all those Windows patches you’ve installed and put them all together in one place. Everybody should do this.

Expect it to take a long time on the first run – it will be much faster after that – and so will your computer. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Feel free to just uninstall it after the free trial ends, but it really is in your best interest to at least use the defrag in Windows once or twice a week.

For you geeks and tweakers: This is the best defragger I’ve seen. Beats Diskeeper. 30 day free trial. Save $5 and buy it on amazon.com instead of paying on the PerfectDisk site.

Oh, and a question for you hard drive guys: Would putting PT on a USB hard drive do any good on a one drive system?