Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Body Temp changes when playing

I've noticed a trend that is common when I am playing in a tournaments. I play good solid poker, but then after a while, I start making really dumb or bizarre plays and get overcommitted to trying to win pots without really any hand. In other words I spew chips rapidly. Usually when this happens I am really hot, flushed in the face and maybe a mild sweat. I'm wondering if my bad play/poor decision making is related to the temperature change in my body. Does anyone do this/have any idea why this is happening?

I actually measured my temp immediately after busting out in this manner and it was 99.2 f, about 10-15 mins later it was 98.6.

Any Thoughts?

Joseph
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Body Temp changes when playing

I think you have it backwards. You make a move and that causes you to get angry/excited then your body temperature spikes.

"The physical effects
Anger triggers the body's 'fight or flight' response. Other emotions that trigger this response include fear, excitement and anxiety. The adrenal glands flood the body with stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol. The brain shunts blood away from the gut and towards the muscles, in preparation for physical exertion. Heart rate, blood pressure and respiration increase, the body temperature rises and the skin perspires. The mind is sharpened and focused."

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2...le?OpenDocument
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Body Temp changes when playing

[ QUOTE ]
Usually when this happens I am really hot, flushed in the face and maybe a mild sweat. I'm wondering if my bad play/poor decision making is related to the temperature change in my body. Does anyone do this/have any idea why this is happening?

Any Thoughts?

Joseph

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this happen in many people including myself. This happens commonly when people sit in their chair and the pressure buillds higher and faster for long durations. Try getting up from your seat more and taking a break for a hand or even take a break after you fold preflop and you can be right back into your seat. This technique works.