Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Default FF playoff tiebreaker?

Just curious what you guys use for a tiebreaker in your league. Our tie is broken by who had the best regular season record. This is the 9th year of our league, and it just happened this year for the 2nd time. Of course much bitching has ensued.

I just don't think that highest bench player or highest total bench are any more "fair" that who had the best regular season record. And since our 8 team playoffs (in a 16-team league) have no byes, I'd rather give SOMETHING to the better teams.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: FF playoff tiebreaker?

My league's broken into three divisions (12 teams). 3 division winners are guaranteed playoff spots, and one team with the best win/loss record that didn't win a division is given a wildcard spot.

If the record is tied for the division lead, whoever has the best division record wins, and if that is tied as well whoever has the most YTD points scored wins. For the wildcard, the lone tiebreaker is YTD points scored.

You could also use head-to-head records with whichever teams are tied.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what you guys use for a tiebreaker in your league. Our tie is broken by who had the best regular season record. This is the 9th year of our league, and it just happened this year for the 2nd time. Of course much bitching has ensued.

I just don't think that highest bench player or highest total bench are any more "fair" that who had the best regular season record. And since our 8 team playoffs (in a 16-team league) have no byes, I'd rather give SOMETHING to the better teams.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about a specific playoff game that ends in a tie? Or are you talking about two teams who are tied for a playoff spot?

If it's a game, there are a few options:

1 - Give the win to the team with the better regular season record. Call it "home field advantage", and give them an extra 1/2 pt before the game starts, ensuring the game won't end in a tie (unless you use tenths or hundredths already, which is kinda dumb anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

2 - Use total bench pts (this is what our league does)

3 - Have each coach designate one "tiebreak" player. If the game is tied, compare the tiebreak players to determine the winner. If you want, you can have each coach set an order for his entire bench. If he forgets to set it, just go alphabetically.

4 - Figure out what each team's highest possible score is, and compare it to the actual score. Whichever team had the highest % of their possible score, wins (theoretically this coach did the best job of setting his lineup)

5 - Flip a coin.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm talking about an individual playoff game that ends in a tie.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O rly? My bad. The fairest options IMO are either total yards for your starters or total TDs for your starters.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

higher seed wins
Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

higher seed wins

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we use now. But of course the guy that lost is complaining and saying we should use best bench player or most touchdowns (which he'd win). Of course he doesn't suggest total bench points or most yards (which he'd lose). And that's my point. Tiebreakers are completely random, and I think highest seed is equally as fair / unfair, but there is a rhyme-or-reason to it.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 PM

We use regular season finish to break playoff ties. It has only happened once in 13 seasons (and I was the benficiary) so far. I like it because it does provide an advantage to the guy that had a better overall year instead of his extra players having a better week that one time. I view it as getting "home field" (as mentioned previously) for the higher seeded team.