Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 PM

Default College Football Coach of the Year Debate

This is a very interesting topic to me, because there are a bunch of coaches you could give it to. I'll list those that are probably at the top of the debate, and you can discuss and/or list others that you think deserve it.

In no particular order:

Mack Brown (UT)
Joe Pa (PSU)
Steve Spurrier (SC)
Charlie Weis (ND)
Pete Carroll (USC)
Gary Patterson (TCU)
Old 11-16-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: College Football Coach of the Year Debate

My gut says Weis b/c he's changed an unchanged roster into a terrific team.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM

If you give it before the Bowls then I would go with JoePa or Weis. If after the bowls I give it to Brown if he beats USC. If not, then back to JoePA or Weis if they win. JMO
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 PM

Joe Pa I think has to be a clear favorite here. Taking a team thought to be mediocre at best to the top of a major conference, although I really think they'll faulter at Mich St and if so I'd default to Spurrier or Patterson, maybe even Shula.

Carroll and Brown are just working with too much talent to really stand out in the jobs they've done this year. Charlie Weis has done a great job and Notre Dame looks great most weeks, but if you look through their schedule their actual results are underwhelming for a 2 loss team that's ranked 6th. Losing a close one to USC at home is their biggest accomplishment by far. AZ St did it too.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give it before the Bowls then I would go with JoePa or Weis. If after the bowls I give it to Brown if he beats USC. If not, then back to JoePA or Weis if they win. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 AM

Gary Patterson has done a terrific job with this TCU team. Save for one night of Tye Gunn's career which was atrocious, causing the Frogs to lose that laugher in Dallas against SMU, this is an undefeated team. They're only the second team to win in Norman since Bob Stoops took over. They convincingly ran the table in the Mountain West. Patterson turned a defense that was last in the nation vs. the pass last year (and near the bottom overall) into a defense that leads the nation in takeaways and that no one has scored a touchdown against in more than eight quarters.

That said, I seriously hope he does not win COTY. Being a wildly successful coach and a K-State alum, he's already thought to be first in line for that job, and I don't want him to go. If TCU loses Patterson, it'll be the second successful coach lost by the program in five years (Fran was the last one), and it will cement the permanent inequity against non-BCS-conference teams.

"If you DARE to become good enough to compete with the big boys, one of the big boys will simply steal your coach and you'll have to start over."

For that reason, I hope someone else wins even though I think Gary makes an excellent candidate every bit as deserving as Weis or Brown.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 AM

Weis will get it. But JoePa should.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM

I really think that Mack Brown gets it this year. He's got an undefeated squad that is just pummelling teams this year. He beat OU, and OSU in C-bus, not bad for someone who is known for choking in big games. Obviously, there's the Rose Bowl still to come, but unless they get blown out OU style like last year (which in the Yankee Fan's opinion is not going to happen) the award is his.

That being said, I have Joe Pa 2nd, Gary Patterson 3rd, Charlie Weis 4th, and Spurrier 5th
Old 11-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Side question: how many times have JoePa and Pete Carroll (if any at all) won CoY?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think that Mack Brown gets it this year. He's got an undefeated squad that is just pummelling teams this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but he's also got the best talent. Texas recruiting class has been ranked in like the top three every year he's been there. Theoretically they should have this kind of record every year (yes, I know that's not realistic). They're just finally living up to potential.

I like someone like Weis for this award.

With that said, of course if Texas beats USC this year, I'll gladly bear Mack Brown's children. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]