Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Don\'t trust Dell\'s warranties and service contracts

Last November I purchased a Dell 4700 with the most complete and expensive package of warranties and service contracts.

I paid $249 for their "Help Desk." Their website says it provides assistance on third party SW, including Quicken. When I called the desk, the technician said that he "knew nothing about Quicken." When I pointed out that their website states that this service is available 24/7, he became abusive. "NODOBY here knows anything about Quicken. Call back tomorrow."

I paid $79 for Express service so that I would not have to wait in line. I have never received service in less than 20 minutes, and it often takes longer. When I stated that I had paid extra for express service, they always say, "We're very busy."

While waiting for service, there are continuous messages to go to their website to get technical advice. They clearly don't want to provide the technical support customers paid for.

Their technical support people range in quality from OK to incompetent, and some of them have very limited English. The service center appears to be in India.

The total cost of the computer, warranties, and service contracts was $2,018. I would have gotten much better value from almost any other organization. I have given up on them and pay to have someone service my machine.

Dell is an utterly dishonst organization. I urge you to buy from a more honest and technically competent company.

Regards,

Al
Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Don\'t trust Dell\'s warranties and service contracts

From other situations, I can really empathize. Nothing is worse than feeling (or being) cheated.

IMO, anyone handy with a screwdriver should be considering building their own computers. You'll either pay far less buying the parts yourself, or for the same price get better technology than you could from a computer-building company. For "technical support" I've found little to top usenet, forums and google.

I understand some/many ppl don't want to be bothered but it is an option. No one needs to be a scientist to buy a motherboard w/CPU, hard drive, case, etc., and put it together.

Mike
Old 06-24-2005, 01:52 PM

Al,

My advice for anyone and everyone that buys from dell, is "make up" a business name, and purchase your computer through Dell Small Business. The support for Dell SB is in the U.S. and is easy to deal with.

I loath when people bring Dell Home purchased computers into my shop and I have to make a call to support. Its pain times ten.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

What type of problem are you having?

Nick
Old 06-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Don't be shy.. let me fill in the blanks for you:

Do NOT buy a system from Dell.

I am not in the least bit computer illiterate. Actually, I'm pretty good with computers and last year learned how easy it is to build one from parts. I've purchased at least 10 computers in the last year, all of them with every component and accessory specified and have always been happy.

I purchased a Dell 4700 last month. This is the absolute worst purchasing decision I have made in the last 5 years. I don't even need Dell technical support, or the ridiculous Dell service agreement, and I still feel like I got it in the *ss.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not in the least bit computer illiterate. Actually, I'm pretty good with computers and last year learned how easy it is to build one from parts. I've purchased at least 10 computers in the last year, all of them with every component and accessory specified and have always been happy.

I purchased a Dell 4700 last month. This is the absolute worst purchasing decision I have made in the last 5 years. I don't even need Dell technical support, or the ridiculous Dell service agreement, and I still feel like I got it in the *ss.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so bad about your dell?

FWIW, dell is the best of all major computer manufacturers in all areas (and yes, this includes their support, even though i think a lot of it is still outsourced to stream).
Old 06-24-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so bad about your dell?

FWIW, dell is the best of all major computer manufacturers in all areas (and yes, this includes their support, even though i think a lot of it is still outsourced to stream).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think Dell manufactures any computers at all, in fact nobody does except for a few Chinese plants. Dell is just a middle man that sticks their logo on the finished product.

The Laptop Trail
Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 PM

I bought a 2001f monitor. I went on the fritz. I called and then had a new one to me within 3 days, no questions asked.

-g
Old 06-24-2005, 08:42 PM

I stand by what i said.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:49 PM

The problem is likely inconsistency, not bad service as such.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:06 PM

As far as your Quicken probelm goes, can you contact Quicken support for help? I know you shouldn't have to since you paid Dell for help, but it sounds like you may get better/faster help this way.