Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Checkraise declared out of turn - could I consider this binding?

A question out of pure curiosity - Al and other dealers help me out here:

I'm in the 20/40 at the Borg, and seated 2 to my right is a complete maniac.

3 limpers before the maniac, the maniac limps, I raise from the cutoff with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3 callers, the maniac limp reraises, and I bust a cap up into that mother [censored].

The flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The 3 limpers check, the maniac looks at me and says "I check, and I am going to check-raise you." I check behind.

I was planning to check behind anyway, since I had completely missed the flop, the pot was multiway, and the board was low and highly coordinated. Out of curiosity, could I have held him to this checkraise declaration? He really was going to checkraise, as he had flopped bottom 2 pair [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], but suppose that someone uses this tactic as a means of scaring the preflop aggressor into giving a free card. Would the action be binding?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Checkraise declared out of turn - could I consider this binding?

No, that wouldn't be binding unless he said "check raise or raise" after you made a bet. In that round of betting, his turn is over. He could say "all in" for all anyone could care, it's not going to be binding. It's a grey area, but I doubt it would be.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:43 AM

i've heard people do this.. it's their action on the flop and they say "i checkraise" with a smile.. usually they end up doing it, but i highly doubt it's binding
Old 12-18-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've heard people do this.. it's their action on the flop and they say "i checkraise" with a smile.. usually they end up doing it, but i highly doubt it's binding

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is not uncommon, but it is a bit annoying. Although I'm sure the maniac in the aforementioned hand was ready to cap the flop with his 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 06:43 PM

I did this in a home game with my friends. They were not bothered by it(I actually check/folded), but I did receive a firm warning from the cat.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:57 PM

I don't even consider this to be action out of turn, I consider this to be nothing more than table talk.

Examples:

Player announces "raise" and/or throws out chips when it is not yet his turn to act --- this action out of turn. Presumably because he does not realize that it is not his turn yet.

Player knowing that it is not yet his turn, looks at player whose turn it is, and says "be careful I'm going to raise." This is not action this is just table chatter.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:42 PM

As a general rule this won't be binding. It's basically just table talk. Although action out of turn MAY be binding, this isn't really a situation where you would apply that rule.

al
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM

One player who frequents this forum has been heard to say "check with the intention of raising." Clearly not binding.