Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Is it OK to cold call in this situation?

I don't understand why everyone seems against calling with K9s. We have a hand that plays well in a multi-way pot (there were 3 limpers) in position. We also have good relative position on the LAG if we flop a pair on a favorable textured board. I think this is a lot closer between raising or calling, rather than raising of folding.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 AM

given your table conditions i could cold call with some suited hands
but not AT or KJo. i mean, just because he is raising with garbage doesnt negate the fact that you need to pay 2 bets pf. so i wouldnt loosen up my CC standards. id 3-bet more liberally though.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I think the main thing to realize here is you can't be to stringent when cold calling a LAG. By doing so, you'll often pass up on several situations with strong positive expectation.

Another point worth mentioning, LAGs will often bust early and therefore you should take advantage of every opportunity to extract some $ from them. Verse LAGS, in particular, I think it's good to make a big effort to push small edges preflop, as the payoff is often very rewarding.

Cold calling can be profitable; you just need to find the right spots to do it. Playing verse a LAG, who raises too much, is a prime example.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think the main thing to realize here is you can't be to stringent when cold calling a LAG. By doing so, you'll often pass up on several situations with strong positive expectation.

Another point worth mentioning, LAGs will often bust early and therefore you should take advantage of every opportunity to extract some $ from them. Verse LAGS, in particular, I think it's good to make a big effort to push small edges preflop, as the payoff is often very rewarding.

Cold calling can be profitable; you just need to find the right spots to do it. Playing verse a LAG, who raises too much, is a prime example.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this is bad advice, read Inside the Poker Mind, TOP, and HEPFAP for further discussion
Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i think this is bad advice, read Inside the Poker Mind, TOP, and HEPFAP for further discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for shedding so much light on this issue through such a well thought out response...

I've read both TOP and HEPFAP, can't say I've read Inside the Poker Mind, plus numerous other texts, and have found nothing that even remotely contradicts my above advice. I've also had numerous encounters with LAGs, and believe the above advice to be sound. I am by no means advocating wild cold calling, rather overcalling when you can't isolate and hold a hard that will play well vs. a large field. Please enlighten me to the problem with this?

I find it a little insulting that you contributed pretty much nothing here, and try to contradict my thought out advice with a generic 'read this' response. Put some time into your responses and I may take you seriously.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for shedding so much light on this issue through such a well thought out response...

I've read both TOP and HEPFAP, can't say I've read Inside the Poker Mind, plus numerous other texts, and have found nothing that even remotely contradicts my above advice. I've also had numerous encounters with LAGs, and believe the above advice to be sound. I am by no means advocating wild cold calling, rather overcalling when you can't isolate and hold a hard that will play well vs. a large field. Please enlighten me to the problem with this?

I find it a little insulting that you contributed pretty much nothing here, and try to contradict my thought out advice with a generic 'read this' response. Put some time into your responses and I may take you seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, you crazy. chill out bra. read my above post. and Inside the poker mind does a good job explaining why cold calling LAGs is not the answer.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have if I knew I could isolate him. But I knew 3-betting wouldn't get anyone to fold except MAYBE the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising may not isolate but if you get the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]rag, K rag,JT etc out because they won't pay 2 bets you accomplished your goal. Most likely to call are broadway and pocket pairs. If they all are so fishy they would call 2 or 3bets your in heaven.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. As you can probably guess, had I played both hands I would have won. I didn't take equity into consideration when I folded. Also, I didn't realize until after the fact that by acting after him, I could have raised when the flop hit thus isolating him.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol, you crazy. chill out bra. read my above post. and Inside the poker mind does a good job explaining why cold calling LAGs is not the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need to read a book to understand the correct play here. Not opening your cold calling range verse a player who raises T5o is incorrect. This is a basic expectation decision, and we'll often have +EV with hands like KTs, A9s, etc. when 3 or so loose players limp and a LAG raises. I don't understand how you can dispute this.

Anyway, I've given my thoughts on this, and don't have much to add. I'm not angry at all, and apologize if you interrupted my tone the wrong way.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising may not isolate but if you get the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]rag, K rag,JT etc out because they won't pay 2 bets you accomplished your goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
LIVE 4/8 players are NOT folding these hands before the flop.