Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 03:40 PM

Default mis-deal questions

Here's a question regarding a mis-deal during a no limit 7-stud game in a home poker tournament.

It's heads-up on 5th street:

Player A has a spade in the hole with 3 spades showing. Player B has KQ in the hole and x-9-10 showing.

Player A bets $4. Player B calls and raises $3 all-in.
Player A is thinking with the intention of calling.

**The dealer mis-deals at this point and deals Player A the A-spade with the raise not yet called.**

After much discussion, the decision was made to pull Player A's 6th street card and re-shuffle the deck.

Player A calls the all-in raise. The cards are dealt: Player A does not get a spade and Player B picks up a straight.

My question:

What is the "correct" procedure in a mis-deal like this? What would be done in a cardroom in this situation?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Re: mis-deal questions - addendum

Player B actually had a K-high straight made on 5th street, which explains the willingness to go all-in against the possible flush...

The play is not the question, rather the mis-deal issue.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Default An answer..

I found this answer for those interested.

This is from the LV Hilton's manual. Looks like the solution was correct, except that the cards are not shuffled, the exposed card is just discarded.

A15. PREMATURE DEALING
A player is not allowed to put chips into the pot knowing any of the cards that are to be dealt for the next round, except for the final downcard at Stud, where the card must be kept. A player is never allowed to control whether an upcard is to remain as dealt or the deck reshuffled. The following rules apply when a card has been dealt faceup before all the players have acted on their hands:

a.Any card dealt before everyone has acted may not be used.

The complete rules are here: http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:yN6z443eoRoJokerworld.com/rules1a.htm+hilton+poker+rules&hl=en&ie=UT F-8
Old 06-03-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Re: mis-deal questions

I don't think that this is universal, but in my local room, if a card is exposed before action is complete, it's dead. The action is completed, and then one card is burnt for each player left in the hand (this includes the exposed card for the first player). There is then a burn and the next street is dealt. If this happened on fifth street, then everyone would get his river card for his sixth street card and then a new river card. In this way, as much as possible, everyone will get the cards he originally would have gotten. The extra cards that are burnt are set aside in case they run out at the end.

I think that in other rooms, they only burn the exposed card. In any case, it's a floor decision.

You should agree on a procedure, so that you don't have a knife fight in the middle of a big hand.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:34 AM

Default Re: mis-deal questions

In my opinion the way you did it is by far the best method. When you think about it everyone getting the same 6th and river that they would have is actually totally irrelevant, as chance would have the deck stub totally random in any case.

I have played in games where prematurely dealt cards stand, but they did suck. Mostly these have been short deck board games where there are not enough cards in the deck to burn. For example a 9 handed game of 3 card manilla ends with every card in the deck in play. A prematurely dealt card in this situation really does suck i can tell you, and the only option available is to disallow any action other than a call on the initial card, and no betting on the next card (totally unsatisfactory i'm sure you'll agree).