Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 07:19 PM

Default the kings

5/10 NLHE on PS, I have kings UTG, my two opponents have 1k and I have them covered. To my left is vagos, he is loose/agressive good, and the SB who calls my raise is slightly loose preflop (maybe this is just against me), tight postflop and good, twin-caracas. I raise to $40 and these two dudes call. Flop is

234o

Twin-caracas leads out for $120. Could be a bluff, any pocket pair, a set. People that have played with him, does that read sound reasonable? A few lines here I could take, what do you guys think?

edit: a pure bluff is the unlikliest
Old 11-17-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: the kings

Huh. A lot of cards on the turn are going to make you hate your hand -- A, 5, 6. I think I call with the intention of raising the turn if none of those cards hit.

You've got a player behind yet to act though. I'm not sure how that affects calculation.

Interested in hearing other opinions.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:14 AM

I would probably raise to $350 and then fold to a re-raise. I would want to give him bad odds to draw with a hand like 55... yet I dont really want to pot-commit myself in case he has a set... or possibly the straight.

Those are just my thoughts.

Sly
Old 11-18-2004, 04:17 AM

I very rarely play a limit this big, so maybe its different there, but in the games I play in you cant be afraid the guy has you beat every time he bets. Make a pot sized raise, and if he reraises you can fold.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:57 PM

more thoughts anyone?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:00 PM

I think one of the most important questions is what does he do with 45 here? That is, if he could hold 45.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:19 PM

This is a tough one, but I doubt he has a set, and I highly doubt he is bluffing. The pot-size lead bet from SB after your preflop raise suggests to me that he has an overpair, and he thinks you both have overcards (granted my opinion is based on limited information about the style of these 2 players, but it seems like he has a mid-high pocket pair). Also, you can definitely rule out the straight, unless this guy doesn't like making money... I say raise him here--probably about 200 more. If he calls, I'm guessing medium pocket pair...if he reraises--you've got a real tough decision. He could easily have JJ or QQ, and might push with those, or he could have the dreaded set [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. READ READ READ your opponent here, and trust your instincts! How has he played sets before out of position? Does he always bet out hard with an overpair? KK is still a dominant hand with that flop, and at this point, this hand becomes more heavily based on reading skills than anything else. That's just how I would play it, but I'm curious about other people's opinions, and how this played out.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:24 PM

most of the time you are ahead here it is to a smaller pocket pair. I am not particularly concerned about a straight but a set is of course possible. with a player behind I generally lean towards raising, because a lot of times you don't want to lay an immediate 3 to 1, but there aren't that many hands he can have that you mind him taking that price. so for me in this situation the deciding factor would be will caracas fire barrel two with pocket tens on the turn? and will he fold pocket tens if you raise?

--turnipmonster
Old 11-18-2004, 03:32 PM

I've played with caracas before and I've noticed that he's highly willing to gamble. For instance, I've had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] against him on a J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board and I was pretty confident I could move him off an overpair. He was willing to gamble it up with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I didn't get help, end of story. I think it's more likely he has 7's thru J's and is just firing out a feeler bet. Re-raise the pot and fold if he comes over the top.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could be a bluff, any pocket pair, a set. People that have played with him, does that read sound reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically you mean no read