Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 AM

Default 99 on button

im not sure what to include so im just going to list everything

about 50 left.. 18 paid
i have about 20BB(T16000)
and i have just been relocated..

blinds 400,800

UTG+1 limps (T10,700)
folded around to me on button with 99

i raised to about 2100
SB(T3300) flat calls which didnt make sense to me
BB(T42000) reraises to 4400
UTG+1 calls
I called
and the SB calls putting himself all in

at this point the active pot is just under 6000,
and the sidepot is about 13000

flop comes Q32 (2 clubs)
BB bets 14580..
UTG+1 folds and so did I..
i didnt feel like paying to see the Q..
part of me didnt really believe the BB, but i didnt want to call and look like a douchebag when he shows Qx
its then just SB and BB in the pot
SB shows K7.. ends up with king hi
and BB shows AQ.. TPTK

what should i have done differently?
part of me thinks i should have just limped
i know i didnt want to push because i had a big enough stack that i needn't risk 16000 with 99 for 2000 chips..

any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: 99 on button

If you think you can win the blinds and get the limper to fold than raise to around 2800. Otherwise, limp. The call on the re-raise is marginal. You probably have odds to call but you've got to give a guy some credit who re-raises after a limper and a cold caller. You're essentially playing for set value.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:23 AM

I like the PF raise but I think it was too small (~T,2500-T3,000). There's no reason to let SB and BB play cheap/for free. As it turned out BB had a hand and you got out without losing to many chips.

I don't like limping because the hand will not play well 4-ways, and you encourage BB to open/push.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Am I the only one who likes to limp with medium pairs like this on a full table? With an UTG limp no less? Flop a set and your rich, or a cheap bail out when the flop comes Ak10..
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM

so either i should have limped or raised more..

sounds good.
i didnt want to limp because i had a feeling someone was going to raise.. so i wanted to be the one doing the raising--if that makes sense... is that bad thinking on my part?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM

I suppose you need to mix it up based on the table, but all things being equal I prefer to raise.

If you limp you are roughly ~33% to win the hand if its checked down to the river (against 2 random hands and one broadway). You are unlikely to improve. The hand will not play well after the flop. But you could get lucky and win a big pot. You invite a raise.

If you raise you are ~54% against a single broadway hand, the 99 will play better against one opponent. You might win the pot right there. The hand will play well after the flop (you won't be afraid to lead out on most boards if its checked to you). All this for an extra 2 1/2 XBB (limp versus raise).
Old 06-07-2005, 12:14 PM

UTG+1's limp is kind of concerning with his stack size and I'd be a bit concerned about him pushing over the top of my raise. If he is solid I'd consider limping behind and seeing a flop. If he's been limping alot regardless of position then I'd raise to around 2700. The small reraise by the big stack is painful here because you don't know if it's weakness or extreme strength.

I don't like flat calling because most of the flops are going to involve you making a tough choice to call off most or all of your stack or having to push all-in hoping that someone didn't check a monster or folding the best hand to a bluff.

I think I'd fold and preserve my chips for stealing the blinds. I don't mind a push so much either if you think BB /UTG are capable of folding.