Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Vegas on the Cheap?

We have two SWA Rapid Rewards free airline tickets. And enough points to stay three nights free at the Hampton Inn, which is about 10 miles from the Strip and Glitter Gulch. We also have enought points for one free day of car rental.

Our dilemma is to whether or not stay at the Hampton Inn or take a mid-week package deal for rooms at the Golden Nugget.

If we take the free rooms we are wondering how that will impact our stay, since the Hampton Inn chain is not as swank as Golden Nugget. We have stayed at high-end hotels before [Bellagio, Venetian] and are wondering if the Hampton Inn will be a let down for our Vegas experience.

Anyone done Vegas on the cheap like this??

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Vegas on the Cheap?

[ QUOTE ]
which is about 10 miles from the Strip and Glitter Gulch

[/ QUOTE ]

Glitter Gulch? We were there wed nite, $30 to get in and we left after 3.2 minutes. What a shithole. We headed straight to the Rhino.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:58 PM

I think most people that visit this message board play poker and thus they probably don't care too much about what hotel they are staying in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The more money spent on the hotel the less you have in your bankroll. I would rather stay in an average hotel and live it up then stay in a nice hotel and live it down.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:03 PM

One thing I have noticed about hotel rooms, when you are sleeping with your eyes closed, the really fancy hotel room looks exactly like the really crummy one. Of course, when in Las Vegas, I have been known to spend up to almost 4 hours at a time in my hotel room, so I am a bit more picky.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have noticed about hotel rooms, when you are sleeping with your eyes closed, the really fancy hotel room looks exactly like the really crummy one. Of course, when in Las Vegas, I have been known to spend up to almost 4 hours at a time in my hotel room, so I am a bit more picky.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. i like stratosphere. its cheap(about 50$ and nice). its also on the strip though its a little ways down. i havent been in 5 years. me and the wife are going in december. when i went last time i didnt play poker so i may stay somewhere else that has a poker room this time. im only in the room about 4 hours total a day as well.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:56 PM

In my opinion staying at the Hampton Inn in Vegas is like taking your cousin to the prom - you're there but it's a totally different experience.

If you're going mid-week, downgrade to the lesser strip hotels like Luxor, MGM, Monte Carlo, etc. for a lower per head cost.

Also think of this - "I'm staying at the Hampton Inn 10 miles away" isn't going to impress the ladies into checking out your room for any late night poker activities. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 05:59 PM

if done right:

priceline.com = ~$40 weekend nights at treasure island
Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 PM

The funny thing about that is the cheap room still doesn't smell like the nice room. That being said, during midweek you can afford to stay at several not-so-crappy hotels and you'll save money if you don't have to rent a car. Just avoid the travelodge on the strip next to mgm. Definitely the worst I've smelled in vegas.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 PM

The moving walkway area into the Excalibur had a very interesting scent this past weekend. Not sure if it was more moldy old stale water or electrical fire remnant smell, but it was quite bad.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Hey folks, these are pretty funny replies I'm getting back, and thanks for the feedback. These are all the arguments I have been having with myself. Oh, and by "Glitter Gulch" I just mean the downtown area, not a specific venue.

Yes, I agree that with my eyes closed all the hotel rooms look the same. My wife will be with me, so I don't have to worry about a fancy room to invite chicks too, unless of course we lick-into, I mean luck-into a 3-some [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

As for sleeping, we do sleep-in late when we are in Vegas. I'm too old now for 2-3 hrs a night like when I was younger. I need at least six hours of sleep in order to function at the poker tables.

We do intend to see shows, dine well, and drink also.

Still thinking about this. I'm wondering if I should do it on the cheap, and see if I can earn back the cost of the rental car, shows, and dining with my earnings at the poker table. That would be a fun challenge!

Cheers,

Mike