Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: The dude who cried when his K high flush lost

[quote

Matusow could go either way, his life was in ruins and he thought that was his big chance to get it back together and lost it on a coin flip (even though he thought he was way ahead).

[/ QUOTE ]

Matusow got all in preflop w/ AK versus another guy's AQ. That's not a race, it's 3:1 in Matusow's favor. Guy spikes queen, Matusow was gone.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Just to clarify things a little. The flop was two hearts and an ace (no K or 9, tearjearker had K9 of hearts obviously). Just from that I think it's fairly safe to assume that cry baby was drawing at the flush the whole time, and hit it on the river.

Maybe he had odds, maybe he didn't. Even so, I think that makes his whining even more pathetic.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Also to help clarify the blinds were at 3k-6k If this hand was played at the same time as other hands shown at the feature table. The guy with the Ace high flush moved in for 192K on the river when the 3rd heart came out. No idea what the stacks/pot were.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Keep this in mind too when you judge him:

43rd Adam Friedman (Gahanna, OH, USA) $235,390
Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Emotions at the table

About this particular instance…when I saw that footage, I had the same reaction most of you do about the “I played perfect poker for three days” comment. How can anyone say that? But I tend to discount things that people say when they’re in a highly emotional state. His opponent was much worse, yelling “that’s what I’m talking about!” and high-fiving his posse. So you hit a nut flush. Grow up. I don’t mind people expressing some emotion at the poker table, or over the chess board for that matter. But please keep it reasonable. Bursting into tears after losing a poker hand is just sad. By the way, no chess player I know over twelve would ever crack up like that after dropping a queen. If anything, chess players are not nearly as emotional as poker players when playing. Maybe this guy should take up something non-competitive, like crossword puzzles or yoga. If you are going to lose it, please don’t do it at the table or on national television. It just ruins the fun for everyone else.

That’s one of my BIG pet peeves with poker nowadays (soapbox time.) All those WSOP guys know they’re on television, and it definitely brings out the rudeness in the jerks. It’s becoming a lot like the NFL (WWE?) in that respect. Whatever happened to manners and common courtesy? I’m sick of the tired rehearsed lines, show-ups, rude comments, all for the cameras. Why not just pull a cell phone out like Joe Horn when you bluff a big-namer off a pot? Nuts, I thought I’d be the first. At least he had the decency to walk away from the table before dialing. And what’s up with that smelly English guy and his raggedy-ass soccer jersey? I’m so glad there are people like Phil Ivey and Greg Raymer that are class acts at the table. Nothing rattles them, and they don’t talk smack unless someone talks first. I wouldn’t shake Matusow’s hand either (good job Greg!) That way, I can cheer when the jerks get busted and go cry in the corner. If they start mouthing off, they deserve whatever they get.

What makes me chew a hole in my cheek is when I see the same thing at my regular cardroom where there ARE NO CAMERAS. No-class smack-talk, rude remarks, showing off, and senseless needling at the tables have increased a hundred fold because of that same crap on ESPN. It hurts the game. Sure, table banter can be fun, and so can an occasional needle. Let the over-hyped receivers keep their end zone dances and just play the game.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Emotions at the table

He was a donk and NO WAY did he have a K high flush there
Old 10-28-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He went to IU, I Had some classes with him. He ranted about a bad beat for over 30 minutes at the 1k Derby Clash at Caesars Indiana a few months ago. Every single person in the tourney heard about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this story and the way his hand on TV were portrayed are both accurate, it appears this kid is not emotionally suited to playing poker.

And to say you played perfect for 3 days ..., well, I'm sorry, nobody plays perfect for 3 days, not even Hellmuth or Matusow, no matter how much they say they do. Anybody who honestly thinks they're playing perfect for more than a few hands, has no real comprehension of poker. You can play great every time you play, or almost, but perfect will never happen for more than a hand or two.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from a guy who "only gave out 1 bad beat" in the entire 2004 WSOP Main Event [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Update on Adam

He played 40-80 last night or 80-160 or something at Caesars Indiana. The whole table was making fun of him adn calling him a baby. Apparently he also ran and hugged his dad after he got knocked out of the WSOP. So someone gave him the nickname "Huggy" and it stuck for the night. Someone told me it was the funniest thing they had ever witnessed, I guess everyone ragged on him the entire night. I'm not sure if Gavin Griffin was playing this game or not, but I saw him playing 50-100 or 100-200 yesterday along with Liz Lieu.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Emotions at the table

Very well said Scottie. A couple of folks stick out in my mind from last year, that guy (Mattias Andersson? Don't remember his name) that would scream everytime he won a hand, he really pissed me off. That type of behavior is nothing but BS from a classless jerk, and my guess is if it weren't for the fact that they'd get kicked out of the tournament, somebody would have slugged him. Josh Arieh came off like an ass, and Matusow and Hellmuth act like complete tools (although I've got to admit, I really enjoy it when they lose it ,a sick pleasure I'm sure [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). As for the guy that cried, he didn't do anything to offend anyone else, but he sure made himself look foolish. 43rd place in the ME, he's a better player than me, but behavior and talent aren't intertwined. IF I were ever in his position, I hope I'd have enough common sense to go off and hide if I was going to break down like that.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 PM

can we get a picture of this guy?