Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 02:08 AM

Default $33 BSB play with KK, linecheck please

FT $33, 8 handed folded to button.

Hero is chipleader, showing one hand in which button raised bb to 140 at 20/40, hero pushed AK and got a call from KQ doubling up.

Relevant chipstacks
Hero (Button) 2835
sb (1400)
bb (1250)

Blinds 20/40

Hero Dealt (KhKd)
Hero raises to 110, sb folds, bb thinks and calls.

Flop Ah 6h 7c

bb checks, Hero checks

Turn Jh

bb checks, hero bets 180, bb calls

River 5d

bb bets 300, hero calls

Just wanted a line check here. Seems to me pretty typical way ahead way behind, so I should keep pot small. The thing is I felt villain had the J, but I can't raise this river here can I? Pretty sure that any hand I can beat won't just call a raise, and gives an aggressive opponent a chance to push me off a winning hand. Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: $33 BSB play with KK, linecheck please

Since you picked up the nut flush draw, I might check behind AGAIN because you are less afraid of a free card. I'm betting the river regardless if checked to, and most likely calling any bet even if I miss the flush.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:27 AM

Checking the flop really puts you in the dark on later streets.

I feel like betting the pot on this flop as I see no reason to act scared of the ace AND give him free cards on this coordinated board. If he calls I am pretty much done with the hand unless I strongly suspect a missed draw by the river, in which case I might call a river bet. Does this sound reasonable to everyone?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:42 AM

I don't really like your line. I'd bet the flop to represent the Ace. Ordinarily a small bet will do but on this board I think 2/3 pot is better. If called, I'm pretty much done with the hand

You decided to check the flop. Why did you bet the turn? Are you scared of the straight draw? I wouldn't be. Villain is only drawing to 6 outs with an oesd or a pair. As you said yourself Hero is either way behind or way ahead so try to get to a cheap showdown.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 PM

The reason I checked behind on the flop was in order to try and keep the pot small. I don't like the idea of leading and giving up if called because I feel that I am ahead here a fair amount. When he checked the turn again, I was almost certain there was no A and I thought a J might call, also I had picked up outs. I wouldn't have been disappointed if I took it down there, but I still felt I was ahead. I was still pretty certain I had a better hand when he made the river blocking bet, but I felt a raise could only be reraise bluffed by a worse hand and probably not called. Anyway, that was my thinking. Criticism welcome of course.

-Jimmy
Old 10-22-2005, 07:42 PM

I really like the check-call line here. It is very nice to check the turn, knowing you can make a river bet if he checks again there or you hit your flush, and get calls from lower pairs, plus you can pick up the bluff a reasonable amount of the time on the end.

I like checking flop and turn, using your position to get free cards and lower your reverse implied odds.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 PM

I think you need to fire on the flop and protect your hand. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to give any free cards here to straight draws, flush draws, any pair. To answer your question about raising the river, like you said, you don't get called by worse hands/fold better hands enough, so raising isn't a good idea.