Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Common Situation: AKo overcard play

UTG is 45/8/0.8
MP is 35/27/1.81

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, HERO ...???
Old 09-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Common Situation: AKo overcard play

I bet that because of a few reasons. It is very possible that we have the best hand. If we are C/R'ed its not the end of the world, as we are getting at least 14:1 with ~3 outs. At least in the lower limits, if you are not C/R'ed you will often buy yourself a free look at the river (though this is probably a little less likely at 10/20). Also, getting a fold or two would be nice, though maybe again unlikely with a pot that size.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:50 PM

I could be way off but I am betting the flop, because like preflop I think I am ahead. I am paying really close attention to any callers. If I am check raised I think I call, fold turn unimproved.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:07 PM

If I bet or check here depend alot on how often I expect to get CR on the flop. This being the aggro 10/20 I expect this flop to be CR alot hence I check here perhaps 70% of the time...
If I was in control of the table and was fairly sure i wouldn´t be CR and also checked to on the turn I would bet here alot more. This holds true also if I had some kind of backdoor draw,say three clubs to go along with my big overcards
Old 09-29-2005, 06:14 PM

4 handed in the 10/20 game, I'm checking this flop. I think you are going to get check raised a ton and your bet is likely to get rid of nobody.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed in the 10/20 game, I'm checking this flop. I think you are going to get check raised a ton and your bet is likely to get rid of nobody.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. I think if the pf raiser bets this flop you have to raise/cr them just on principle. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:20 PM

Sometimes I bet; often I check. With the aggro PFR on your immediate right, I think I prefer checking.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. I think if the pf raiser bets this flop you have to raise/cr them just on principle. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, pf raiser yes, but pf 3-bettor?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 PM

I bet these flops almost always, for free fourth street/river reasons. It doesn't work every time, but a good amount of the time against 3-4 players, if you have last action and were the preflop 3-bettor/capper, a flop bet will get you checked to on the turn.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:55 PM

I think there are other reasons for checking this flop. If UTG leads on the turn, it's safe to say you are behind and it's just a matter of how good you think your outs are. If MP leads the turn, it could very easily be a stab which you can raise and blow out the other players in the hand. There's no read on BB but you can see the other players action and react accordingly. Betting and getting called on this flop doesn't tell you much. Even if you get your free card, the weak turn play may induce you to make a bad river fold.