Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Default KTs Should I have played this differently?

First, thanks to folks that have responded to my hand posts; it has helped my play. I am getting better at preflop play (I think) and occassionally refer back to SSH to check the starting hand charts. I am having more difficulty with postflop play, which should be expected.

Anyway, I had this hand last night. I was getting a bad run of cards, mostly rags, at a pretty loose table. Lots of calling or checking with few raises. I would appreciate your evaluation of my decisions. Thanks.

Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

River: (17.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 06-02-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: KTs Should I have played this differently?

I won't play this from MP for a raise, especially considering the terrible relative position you have to the bettor. What kind of read did you have on MP1?

I like the flop.

I like the turn.

What was the action on the river? I'd bet if checked to again. I'd raise if bet into by MP1 and call down a 3bet.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Fold preflop and, if you don't, bet the river.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

This is not a spot I would make the cold call preflop. After that I like the way you played. I'd bet/raise the river.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:58 AM

So far, the consensus is to fold preflop. I played b/c it is listed as one of the possible hands to play agaisnt a raise in early position in a loose game.

I've been following SSH's advice and using the loose game chart, even then playing 20-25% of my hands. Do you think I should revert to the tight suggestions?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 AM

Fold pre-flop to a raise - the rest looks good. Flush draw with you hitting a pair is a STRONG hand.

Great play on a hand I would not have been in.

HOWEVER - you played it for a good reason so good thinking. IF you played it because you ALWAYS play it that way - that's bad. Your better then the limit you are at. I hope it is only the size of your bank that is keeping you from moving up.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 AM

nh IMO.

you're reasoning for coldcalling is fine. it's not a habit or a "normal" thing to do, but i'd do it in this situation.

river would be a tad difficult and read-dependent because of the straight possibility, but you'll see a lot of people bet/raise this hand here with TP.

i think the only times i'd merely bet/call would be to a c/r from someone other than MP1. if bet into, i'd probably raise. if c/r by MP1, i'd probably 3-bet as he'd do this with AK (i think).

AQ, Q9 being the only hands i think that beat us that we wouldn't have possibly seen anything from prior to the river- the only hand i can see MP1 having to bet with here. KK, KJ we probably would have seen something.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 AM

Preflop: I can't remember the last time I cold-called preflop with KTs, but at a table this loose, I think it's all right. I wouldn't do it without expecting additional callers behind me, though.

Flop/turn: Looks good to me.

River: I'm not sure what happened, but if you were checked to, I hope you bet. If I got checkraised, I would probably just call, fearing my loose-passive opponent had Q9 or AQ and just made a straight. And then I'd kick myself if he showed me K6o instead. But if I got checkraised, I'd expect to lose.

If he led instead and wasn't really the checkraising type, I would want to raise but would probably just call.

Anyway, though, what I'd expect to happen instead is for UTG+2 to check and call with his J8s or something else I beat.

Edit: Oops, I didn't notice CO was still in the hand on the river.

Anyway, though, you still have a bet if checked to. If UTG+2 bet, I'd probably call and go for the overcall. It depends, though, on how passive/straightforward UTG+2 is, and also on how likely CO is to call two cold on the river with an inferior hand.

If I bet and CO raised, I'd call. If I bet and CO raised and UTG+2 check/3-bet, I'd think about folding. But that's not the action I expect.

In any event, I'm not really sure what's best on the river if someone wakes up, because I'm not familiar with the site or limit. (I've been kind of drawing from my B&amp;M 3/6 experience in this response. B&amp;M 3/6 can be very loose passive. At some tables, no one will think of raising any street without two pair or better, though they will bet with less.)
Old 06-02-2005, 08:38 AM

You should fold preflop.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM

This is not a good enough starting hand to cold call a raise with.