Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Interesting $25/$50 NL Hand

My opponent has 12k, I have him covered. He's been playing very aggro, almost autobetting when checked to him on flop and turn (he hasn't been in every hand but certainly he has been loose as well as aggro) in the lsat 5 minutes but I think he's had some hands not sure how many, and I don't think hes playing crazy though I do think he's playing overaggro and bad. He opens to $175, I call in SB with AKo. Reraise here? I think it will be tough to play postflop...

Flop is As 9h 2c, I check he bets $400, I call.

Turn is 4s. He bets $1200 I call. River is Qs, I check he bets $4100.

On the river I think he knows just what I have. I thought taking a weird line here might help like one possibility that crossed my mind is mincheckraising the turn, and thenc hecking the river to him. Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Interesting $25/$50 NL Hand

Bruiser,

I think that a call is better because a re-raise gives him a better read on your cards. I like your check/call on the flop, but I think that you should've bet the turn. There's a lot of rivers you don't like here.

It's been awhile since I've seen your passive play on these forums Bruiser [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 12:16 AM

I'd like to see you make a move on the flop or lead out on the turn.
That was quite a river bet he made. Interested to find out what happened (If you called or not, and if so what he had).
Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 AM

These limits are way out of my league, but I like the preflop call, and think you should bet the flop. If he raises, I either re-raise or smooth call and lead the turn. Wouldn't it be nice to know where you stand before facing a $4100 river bet with TPTK?

(I mean the rhetorical question in a serious manner...)
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 AM

WHy aren't you raising either the flop or the turn bruiser??? It seems like you play totally different when you are playing this high.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 AM

I like the check/call on the flop and turn because of what you said about him being aggro and autobetting. I'm not sure what the correct play on the river would be and am interested in what some of the other posters suggest.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Your hand screams weak ace. Difficult choices with large stacks in front of you. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board with that flush draw coming on the turn would kinda make me want to raise the turn to about $3000 -- figuring he didn't pick up the draw and I have the better pair or better Ace. On the other hand, I bet of $2500 on the river into the $3500 pot would probably have gotten you to the showdown.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:48 AM

actualy the ace wasn't a spade, one of the other cards was
Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 AM

Dude, how many check call hands are you gonna post?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 AM

I dont' play that deep. But I love to analyze strategic situations.

I like the flat call pre-flop, I like the check call flop. A check raise is okay here to but mostly for the timid who want to lessen risk and get better definition of the hands.

Whenever faced with a raiser pre-flop, I assume Big Ace, or Ace something suited, pocket pair. You say he autofires the flop and often the turn. The post-flop bet is largely irrelevent and small compared to your stack size. It's on the turn where you are looking to make money.

I figure there are two ways to do it in this situation. Check raise the turn, or call then bet the river.

Check raising the turn presents problems should they call --particularly if they picked up a draw and your deep stacked and can potentialy pay off. You might not want to put more money in the pot on the river in the form of a bet, or expecially a call.

Call then betting the flop is sometimes misused by poor players as acts of desperation. But for substantial money, your opponant has to be carefull and very often will just call -- barring them having the top 2 or 3 types of hands. Should they come over the top, you can confidently fold and shrug it off if shown a bluff.

Call then betting the river costs slightly more then check raising the turn, but often gets you to where you want to be, the showdown against a fast and loose player.

In this particular case, since you ammended the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the flop -- I would want to know where that A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was. Should I be holding it, I could proceed more confidently.