Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 05:05 PM

Default 1/2 Hand - Deep Stacks - Play for it all on the turn?

1/2 NL Game at Local NYC Poker Club

Villian in this hand is UTG. Villian is a TAG and probably the best player in the game. I limp in the CO after several limpers with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I start the hand with $350 and villian has me covered. Seven of us see the flop of:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Both blinds check and villian UTG leads into the $14 pot with a bet of $8. It folds to me in the CO and I make it $25 to go with the nut straight (I probably should have raised more here). Villian calls the bet without hesistation.

Two of us see the turn of:

(7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian quickly checks it to me. I bet out $50 now and about one second after I annouce my bet villian quickly announces "I'm all-in". Now I have a decision for the rest of my chips ($275).

Anyone lay this down?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Hand - Deep Stacks - Play for it all on the turn?

What? No way dude.

He's TAG and limps UTG you're worried about QT? - You're a huge favorite over any other possible holding (he can't have T8 spades based on your description).

If he did have QT, then I think your read on him as TAG was probaly just a bad read as I don't know any good players who will play that hand in that position - Especially just limping.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:33 PM

UTG made a lead bet on the flop. He didn't raise preflop (It was limped 7-way preflop). I think QT is a possible holding...but would he move in with it? What does UTG have?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:35 PM

I mistyped my first time - Read the edited verion.

I don't know? KK with a missed limp reraise?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:36 PM

OK. UTG's TAG, but I'd seen him limp with suited connectors UTG before. (Remember this table saw lots of limped pots - he was taking advantage of this to try to outplay postflop). So I think QTs was in his repertoire for UTG preflop limps.

I definitely don't think he would make this move with AA on the turn. Maybe KK?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does UTG have?

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], KJ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 99, etc.

to play devil's advocate...if the game was real passive pre-flop i don't think you can totally rule out QTs. i consider myself pretty darn squeaky tight and i was in a 2/5 NL game last night where it was *very* passive before the flop with 5 or 6 players limping and pay-off city afterwards with crappy top pair hands. anyway, in a game like that i might have limped UTG with QTs/JTs and the like.

is it also possible that your read on him is a little off?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:47 PM

This game is exactly like the 2/5 game you were in. Passive preflop plus payoff city postflop. I was limping in with hands like JTs/98s UTG, and I consider myself TAG. Maybe I'm not a TAG?

Given the passive style of the game, an otherwise TAG player might loosen up a bit. Villian in this hand may have been doing this...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Hi,

The stacks are not that deep that you can payoff the 1 hand that beats you or the 1 hand thats free rolling you.

His image of you is also very important. Have you been caught semi-bluffing draws? Over playing two pair? Folded to a turn CR on a scarey board? Has villian only been going all in with the nuts? or has he been pushing with less?

How you answer these quetions is important. If your image is loose and that you've been overplaying hands you should be more inclined to call. If you've been folding to scary boards when you've raised and been reraised, be more inclined to call.

If Villian has only been pushing in with the nuts QT is a real probability.

Later,
MArkV.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:28 PM

Well he limps in which suggests Q-10 is possible. He then gives a moderate bet on the flop, suggesting the draw, but still calls your raise (which is the only action that could lead you to doubt the Q-10). You probably should have raised much more here.
When he check raises you on the river, you have to put him on Q-10 and fold the hand.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:36 PM

Looks like an easy call.

If he had the nuts, rebuy.