Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Andrew Black Crying?

From last night's televised episode, I believe there were three people crying...Andrew Black, Adam Friedman and I cannot remember the third. Was it the father who missed his kids and his wife who had a cancer scare. I cannot remember but this guy had more of a reason. I think Norman Chad, whom always makes fun of his bad play and his ex-wives, had a great quote comparing this world series to an episode of the Oprah show.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:02 PM

He just made a crying call, that's all.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM

I've been waiting to read that one.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM

It really confused me too, my guess is that with so much money on the line it amplifies any emotions you feel by so much more. Maybe it was the lack of respect of the other players, or maybe it was just him realizing how much money he was going to win and was happy about it? Much more noble than Friedman, at any rate...

I think that the guy whose wife got cancer and the armless guy almost started crying too...but it's totally understandable in their cases. Andrew Black starting up was just out of nowhere.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is it was 10% the principle of the matter and 90% exhaustion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

This was all covered during the WSOP, look for the threads. My memory is, the other player got an incorrect end time for the break (he didn't speak english well and another tourney was breaking).

Andrew tried to be fair and asked everyone at his table to play slow. They refused, so he played slow. His table-mates started to berate him, and put a ton of pressure on him to speed up. He refused, and ended up getting very emotional as they berated him. ESPN's coverage did a very poor job of communicating honestly to the audience what was a very interesting episode (just like it did with Tiffany's 15 minute pause to decide whether to call all-in with KJs vs. AA).

They might not have had the footage in Andrew's case, but Norman could have done better at describing why he was so upset.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe he is writing a book:"Whining and crying my way tthrough the WSOP ME". Should be a big seller . Mike Matasow can relate.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-02-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Andrew tried to be fair and asked everyone at his table to play slow. They refused, so he played slow. His table-mates started to berate him, and put a ton of pressure on him to speed up. He refused, and ended up getting very emotional as they berated him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked everyone at the table to stop playing at all until the guy came back, but the TD wouldn't stop the tournament so the other tables would keep playing. This clearly isnt fair to any shortstacks at that table. He just started stalling, not making any decisions so that someone ended up asking for a clock on him every time it was his turn to act.

No one berated him at all, just tried to reason with him from their viewpoint. There was nothing mean spirited at all in any of the discussion. Black just got really upset about the whole thing, mostly imo due to his just being exhausted.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im just catching the replay of tonights episode right now, why was Andrew Black crying? Was he really good friends with the guy that wasn't back at the table? Did he think something had happened to him??

Maybe my robot heart can't understand these human emotions of sorrow, but I just don't understand why he was that distraught.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall this was more of an issue of someone telling the player the wrong time for the break ending (because another tourney had that break time, not the Main Event).

It's one of those sad mistakes which happens, Black just felt bad for the guy, and the other players at the table just handled it a bit differently. Throw nerves in there, these things happen.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Andrew had spent some time in the far East studying buddhism and escaping the rat-race of soulless capitalist society. During his time there, a apecial dinner at a temple was to be announed by the sound of seven gongs. All dinner participants were to then witness the performace of a dancing panda -- a type of panda that could only do this every hundred years or so when the stars were in perfect alignment.

Young Fong was deaf but had dreamed of the day he could witness the dancing panda. Hearing the sound of the bells, Andrew rushed to the temple to take his place among the Lotus-positioned throng. Noticing that his friend Fong was absent, he pleaded with the others to send torch signals for Fong's benefit. The monks murmured and snickered, instead bringing on the dancing panda in all its glory.

I'm sure the wsop experience just brought back sad memories for Andy, seated amidst these amoral capitalist dogs