Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Default $5/$10 QQ

Me and opponent have 1k, I'm not sure how good he is but I know he is quite aggro, bet hard with a marginal hand before and raised big in a protected pot on the flop with A high flush draw. So this hand he open rasies in EP to $35 I call in MP with black QQ, someone calls behind me. 3 to flop of 4c 4h 7c. He bets $100 I call. HU

Turn is 3h, he bets $300. I don't think folding is an option, what now? I figured he had 2 outs and called. I think I call too much though and that is a leak in my game. Maybe not htough.

River is As, he checks. Pot is $900, we have $550 left each.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 QQ

I think you HAVE to raise this turn. If he has two outs, you made a mistake according to the FTOP by just calling. By raising, if he has JJ, he'll probably call and is making a mistake. Make him make a mistake.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM

i don't mind the way you played it.
if he has AA/KK (which even aggro players get) he has to slow down on the river and you lose less then you would if you raise the turn.
check behind on the river and hope he has 88-JJ, which by the way i think is highly likely.
there is an arguement to be made to try and represent the busted flush draw on the end and hopefully get paid of by a weak pair, however that play won't work here because of the A on the river which could easily have paired your busted draw.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM

Bluff the Ace and pray he doesn't call? I guess it's just the only way to win the hand if you are behind to say something like KK. What range of hands do you put him on that you are beating right now? TT - JJ?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM

I think calling the flop was good with that board against an aggro. You gave him another chance to swing at the pot on the turn whereas he may have folded to a flop raise. Raise the turn here. Given the way you played it, check the river unless you think a smaller pocket pair will pay you off.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:45 PM

bluff the river?? if i bet it definitly vale bet
Old 01-26-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluff the Ace and pray he doesn't call?

[/ QUOTE ]

With $550 left and a $900 pot, Villian will be getting a big price to call (all in is almost 3:1) about anything, so I don't get the 'bluff' part. He would have had to completely whiff to fold on the end. Value bet or check I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you HAVE to raise this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought the same thing. But hero has $850 on the turn and if he raises, he has to put it all-in.

Bruiser, do you find yourself in tough spots on the end like this quite a bit? It seems like he could take a stab at anything on the end (so far your action has been call, call, call). What would you have done if he moved all in on the river? I see folding or pushing on the turn as your options. If you read him for an underpair why not push? Because you were already so deep into it, hope to get a showdown to reduce some variance?

Edit: Getting to the river the way you did, if he was on the nut draw he cannot fold on the end can he? I would get ready to throw my monitor out the window and check.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 PM

I like the flop and turn play.

I would bet $250-350 on the river. he will call with any pair.

he is probably check calling to induce a bluff, but hopefully he just isnt doing it w KK.

nice hand.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Bruiser, just curious if you are ever re-raising the aggressive raiser pre-flop here with QQ?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:14 PM

yes