Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Hand - Deep Stacks - Play for it all on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like an easy call.

If he had the nuts, rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think it warranted this much speculation.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM

My guess is KJ...doubt he has a set or he would've probably bet more on the flop, or re-reraised your re-raise. I call all day here...if he has Q10, so be it. Hope it worked out for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:26 PM

K10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s
Old 12-26-2004, 02:42 AM

I did call and Villian showed me Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the nuts.

How did he play it?

Seems like he should have made a more callable raise here rather than the all in? If he put me on T8 then I suppose the raise was masterful. But it seems like he might be leaving money on the table raising this big....

At the time of the raise there is $164 in the pot after villian's call of my $50 turn bet. Is his raise of $275 more a good one with the nuts? What's a better raise size?

I'm still trying to learn how to milk my good hands...is the "all-in with the nuts" approach a good one given the stacks here?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:38 PM

I think his all in is a good play given the texture of the board. There are so many draws out there, that all in a) gets all the money in while he's got the nuts (which are very likely to change on the river) and b) because there are so many draws, it makes his hand look like a pair+draw or monster draw, or something like a set trying to get the draws out of there.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:46 PM

This is mid-stakes deep stacks for high school players.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 AM

<<<<I did call and Villian showed me Q T for the nuts.

How did he play it?>>>>

He played it OK.

I won't criticize him for limping UTG with TQs, since you have repeatedly stressed that the game was extremely passive preflop and that there were bad players who called too much post flop.

<<<<At the time of the raise there is $164 in the pot after villian's call of my $50 turn bet. Is his raise of $275 more a good one with the nuts? What's a better raise size?

I'm still trying to learn how to milk my good hands...is the "all-in with the nuts" approach a good one given the stacks here?>>>>

He wants your stack, bu he's not looking to "milk" here. Remember, he hates to see any spade, a paired board, a ten or a queen hit on the river. His hand could turn into a loser, or he could be counterfeited. He can't afford to "milk" with a very small raise. He would have to raise you in the neighborhood of $125 to be giving you incorrect odds to call with a set. I am including implied odds for his whole stack since he would be pot committed.

Let's say he raised you the size of the pot ($164). That would leave you with $111 behind. The pot would be $492. You would both be pot committed. So unless he considers you a total idiot, it is pretty much equivalent to a raise all-in here. In fact, a smaller bet than all-in might look more like the nuts to you. Basically, the stack sizes in relation to the pot don't leave much room to maneuver. I would say he played it fine. Could he have raised less with the intention of going all-in on the river? Sure. But he would have to raise 125+, and unless you are a fool you will see that calling this raise will pot commit you.

There is only one thing you should take away from this hand. Your raise of his flop bet was too low. Don't worry about losing your stack here. It was inevitable.