Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Tournament Scenerio -- What would you do?

Okay, here's the scenerio:

With T2000 (blinds 75-150) You limp with pocket 7s. Another player with T1400 Moves in on you...You've played with this person many times and you know he's capable of making moves at the pot at anytime...it's folded around to you...You put him on two overcards..possibly KQ or A-10...What do you do if...

1) Your playing just to survive
2) Your ultimate goal is to win the tournament or finish in the top 3.

Thanks..
Old 06-20-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Tournament Scenerio -- What would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
With T2000 (blinds 75-150) You limp with pocket 7s. Another player with T1400 Moves in on you...You've played with this person many times and you know he's capable of making moves at the pot at anytime...it's folded around to you...You put him on two overcards..possibly KQ or A-10...What do you do if...

1) Your playing just to survive
2) Your ultimate goal is to win the tournament or finish in the top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking a multi table tourny or a SnG?

Now that I think about it , it doesn't matter.

scenarios;

1) fold

2) fold

Would you seriously risk a large portion of your stack preflop on a coin toss? I'd rather make a play here with bigger pockets.

You limped preflop hoping to see the flop cheap....didn't happen.

Easy fold. Live to fight another day.

Husker
Old 06-20-2004, 02:04 AM

I think this is the classic small favorite / big underdog situation.
On the other hand, if you feel you are outmatched vs. others in the tourney, taking a probably coin flip to double up is probably okay.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 AM

I would definitely like some more info oh how close you are to the money and everything. However, I would almost always fold. If you really wanted to make a stand with pocket 7s, then you should've pushed all in to begin with.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:42 AM

there is no way i'd ever be limping in with pocket 7s for that high of a % of my stack.
i guess i call since i'd gather i am trying to trap him.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:14 AM

Clear fold. Seven hands alomst certainly beat you. Your chances of being anything more than slight favorite are minimal. Let him have the $150 and catch him with aces some other time.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With T2000 (blinds 75-150) You limp with pocket 7s. Another player with T1400 Moves in on you...You've played with this person many times and you know he's capable of making moves at the pot at anytime...it's folded around to you...You put him on two overcards..possibly KQ or A-10...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why put him on overcards? Why not put him on 72o, which makes your call really easy?

You should ask yourself what the chance is that your opponent has an overpair, in which case you are a 4-4.5:1 underdog. If you call against an overpair, you lose 675 chips on average, as you get about 575, 19% of the 3025 pot, in return for an additional 1250.

You are a favorite over most overcards; IIRC JTs is an exception, but the hands that are more likely to push fare worse against 77. You are a 5:4 favorite over AKo. Let's suppose you win 52% on average. You get about 1575 for your 1250, so you gain 325 chips compared with folding. (I think people often overlook the dead money in the pot, but this is a mistake. You should be happy to call if you win only 41.5% of the time.)

If the chance your opponent holds an overpair is more than 32.5%, folding saves you chips, on average. If an overpair is significantly less likely, calling is the right play to aim for first place.

Of course, you should also consider the possibility that your opponent has a smaller pair, or one card above and one card below, such as A6s. In these situations, you would gain even more by calling.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:12 AM

with either scenario i call. if your goal is to win this is obvious. but even if your goal is to survive it is still correct I think. with those blinds you arent going to suvive very long without playing this hand, and it is better than 50% against the normal raising hands here. but it really doesnt matter if you put him on a specific overcard hand because no matter what the cards they are both higher than yours.

Pat
Old 06-20-2004, 12:02 PM

What do you mean by playing to survive? Survive until the next hand, the next level, until you're in the money, what exactly?

More likely than not, thinking about playing to survive will cause you to make some serious mistakes. It's one thing to be playing to survive on the bubble, and another entirely to be trying to survive in the early going. Usually, people who are even thinking about surviving early on, will fold themselves out of the tourney after outlasting about 50-75% of the field. However, since you don't get paid for outlasting 75% of the field, this strategy does you little good.

As for the hand in particular, I would very seldom limp in with 77 for 8% of my stack. If other people had limped in already, then I would probably limp in as well. But, if I'm the first one in here, I'm raising almost every time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 06-20-2004, 01:18 PM

So, then what do you do when you raise to say, T375 and then he comes over the top for say: a mini-raise, or slightly more?

What do you do when he pushes in?

the miniraise is more dangerous because if you call that, you are getting really close to being pot-committed.

Greg - congrats on your victory.

I am having the problem in tournies you are describing - surviving 65-80% of the field and being dreadfully shortstacked.

I've had a big problem of late with running blind steals that get played back at when I make moves with nothing, and getting no action when I actually have something.

How do you accumulate chips in a tourney when the cards are running cold and you're running out of time?
How did you accumulate chips in the WSOP? Would you say you ran better than average on getting good starting hands over the course of the 6 days?