Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Could this disaster been aviodable??

Played in a $50 NL Event on PokerStars Last night...we're down to 18 players (We're all in the money)...I'm in the BB with T35,000 which is good enough to be the chip leader. Blinds are $600-$1200 Ante $75. All folded to the guy in second chip position (around T33,000)who open limps. SB with 14K also limps..I'm holding two black deuces and check...Flop comes 2 8 7 rainbow. BB bets T7,200...I raise to T14,400.....Then behind me the guy in second chip position moves in for 29K more...SB calls the rest of his stack.....Is this an easy call or should I have mucked here...leaving myself with T12,000 to play with or is folding a set at this point in the tourney just hard to do given the preflop action and the ensuing flop? So I ask, Could this disaster been avoidable? Results and commentary to come.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Could this disaster been aviodable??

I wouldn't have been able to fold without some strong reads, there are plenty of other hands that you will be shown other than 77 or 88. Sucks you lost but FWIW I would lose just as much.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: You already gave the ending away in your title... n/m

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Could this disaster been aviodable??

Hi,

No. He could be making this play with AA/KK/87. You can't fold a set unless they show you the bigger set. Its just so rare the set over set.

Prevent this? You could have raised 10k preflop and hoped for the steal, but if they call and you don't hit your set, you have to pray they missed and dont call your flop bet. So no, you can't prevent this.

Your opponents not getting luckier then you is one of the major factors of making final tables. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MarkV.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:56 AM

Default Results and Commentary

Well, I guess I gave away the results in my subject, But yes, my opponent ended up flopping a set of 8's...it tough to lay down a set event if your risking your entire tournament stack. I guess the fact my opponent open limped instead of raising really threw me off...

thanks for the critique
Old 05-22-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Results and Commentary

your opponent open limping tells you even more. So often these players online are very very weak players. Experienced players in his position at this time in an event will open raise a substantial amount with his hand 90% of the time.

knowing this is a weak player or even suspecting it is a weakie, suggests a weak pair preflop.

However, that being said. There ain no chance in hell I am NOT going to lose all my chips on this flop. They are all going in baby! Dumb-ass luck that I had to have this hand in the BB. 1 hand earlier and it's an easy dump pre-flop.

unavoidable sir...just shiit-ass luck. It happens.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:32 PM

Hi,

You'll fold a low pocket pair? The only time I'm folding a low pocket pair is when the person raising doesn't have the chips to pay me off if I hit a set or if there is a reraise.

UTG I'll limp if its early in the tournament or go for a steal if its late in the tournament.

MarkV.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Had this hand been UTG I would say its a definite fold.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 AM

18 players, 2 x 9handed tables. easy dump.

Hell I dump it 5 handed unless I have a HUGE chip lead and am dominating the table. These hands just aint worth much. Hell I'd rather call a small raise around back with 76o than play a small PP up front.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

You'll fold a low pocket pair? The only time I'm folding a low pocket pair is when the person raising doesn't have the chips to pay me off if I hit a set or if there is a reraise.

UTG I'll limp if its early in the tournament or go for a steal if its late in the tournament.

MarkV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Late in a tourney when blinds are a significant portion of my stack, I'll easily lay down a small pocket pair in EP if there are 8 or more people at the table.