Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Flopping Quads -- Sick Feeling I played this Wrong

This is from the Weekly Friday No Limit Tournament at the Orleans in Vegas.

Blinds are 20-40..it's the last hand before the break. I'm sitting with T2600 and raise two limpers T175 with Pocket 10s. SB, who has around T3000 calls...the limpers muck....so it's the two biggest stack going heads up.

Flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks to me..I bet T175...hoping to show weakness. The SB is a tough regular who I've played with many times. SB raises T600. AFter putting on the entire Hollywood act of hemming and pecking at a decision..I just call hoping he'll make a move at the pot on the turn...

Turn is a J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] SB Checks....I check behind...

river brings a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB checks..I go all in....This is where I believe I made a mistake...Maybe I should have made a substancial bet here around T1000-1200...but I felt if he was on a club draw he would call....SB thinks for a long time, and mucks...

Comments are greatly appreciated....
Old 04-10-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Flopping Quads -- Sick Feeling I played this Wrong

I wouldn't go toooo far with the whole Hollywood act, as was the case here it is often a tell of extreme strength. It's fine to hesitate a little to try and indicate some doubt on your part, but I wouldn't go overboard with the acting when you're holding the monster, especially against a player you describe as tough. My guess is he was holding a queen, or maybe KJ for a straight draw and put you on an overpair or some sort of Ten after the whole acting job.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 AM

Your acting job got gonged especially with the blinds so low against what you say was a tough opponent. That could have been the big tip off to him.

His flop raise I put him on most likely AQ, KQ or possibly an under pair.

You said you thought he would call if he was on a flush draw. I doubt very seriously that a tough player would make that raise on the flop this early in the tourney with just a flush draw after you raised BTF. IMO he had a Q or a med pair.

I agree that it was a mistake you pushing in on the end.You have the dead mortal nuts and all cards are out and your opponent checks to you. In those situations, the only thing I have to ask myself is how much will he call? Then maybe bet a little less than that even. IMO $1000-1200 would be a bit high.

KC
Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 AM

I've found this too -- it's not always easy to extract the maximum chips when you flop a monster in a NL tournament. I posted a hand about a week ago where I flopped top set with QQ, three-handed, then turned top full house. My small bet on the flop got called, turn was checked around, and both opponents folded to my pot-sized bet on the river. I received some useful advice in that thread if you want to check it out.

In your hand, first it is possible that you did extract the maximum. Your opponent's flop raise might well have been a hand like 99, thinking that you could have raised preflop with AK.

Other posters said that your opponent may have seen through your act. Perhaps, but not necessarily. If your opponent did have something like 99, maybe he just decided that after you call the flop raise, he's not putting in any more chips -- especially when the jack comes on the turn so if you started with AK you now have a straight.

I think you have to make a small bet on the turn when it's checked to you. Hopefully your opponent has AK and will check-raise you (putting you on the queen or possibly AT). There's 1770 in the pot, right? And you have 1800 in your stack? Maybe bet 350. If your opponent has a medium pocket pair he'll fold, but you don't lose anything since he wasn't going to put in money on the river anyway. If your opponent has AK he's not going to fold to a bet of that size unless he's extremely good. If he has a queen, or a flush draw, he may still figure he can afford to call a small turn bet.

Then on the river (if he does call the turn), the pot will be 2470 and you can move all-in for 1450.