Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: QJs > Nuts > Action

I think your line is fine, I really don't think you get more value out of just calling the turn, and you risk losing the pot.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Yeah, those are basically my sentiments.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:35 PM

The way you played the hand is not bad, I was just giving my side and what I would have done. In games I play, I make money off of hands like 98 and T8 by calling the turn and betting the river. They almost have to check/call the river to snap off a bluff from a busted draw. If I raise the turn, I lose those hands from all but the worst opponents because of the massive strength I've shown raising both the flop and turn.

What it boils down to for me is that villain clearly has a made hand and I clearly have a better made hand. If I raise both the flop and turn, I lose hands that are drawing almost dead to me (T9, T8, 98 for example) and only keep in the sets that have a decent chance to fill and the made straights. Those hands usually will put in a good amount of money on the river anyway so I don't need to put it in on the turn.

Just to make up an example to illustrate this precisely, lets say villain has 98. If I raise flop and turn, he probably folds to the turn raise. If I call the turn and the river is scary, he check/folds (no difference between raising the turn and calling in this case). If the river is a brick, he check/calls in case I'm bluffing a missed draw (which my hand now looks a lot like). If he chooses to put out a blocking bet and fold to a raise on a brick, I still get more money than if I'd raised the turn (the size of his blocking bet).
Old 12-25-2005, 06:15 PM

Good discussion. Merry Christmas and thanks.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:23 PM

what discussion? lol.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:37 AM

Not raising the turn is horrible
Get it all in when you can
Too many scare cards (depending on what they have)- any cards that pair the board, 6,7, jack or queen what are you waiting to dodge half the deck for, not to mention he could have some sort of pair+ oesd type of hand get it all in now.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what discussion? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

The discussion between Ghaz and me on the pro's and con's of raising and calling the turn? I thought it was helpful, at least for me. Sorry if you didn't.