Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 12-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Default 250K Gain Tax Exclusion on Real estate

If you lived in a house for 2 of the last 5 years, then your gains of up to 250K are not taxed.

So, it seems that a strong financial strategy would find you owning several houses, moving around from one to another (this becomes a bit more difficult if you have family)

Every book i read about taxes all seem to lean in the same direction, that real estate is the key. there are also some interesting tax shelters where you can put real estate and assests in your children's name. If you are self employed, then your child can own your house, and you can pay him rent to work there, and he doesnt have to pay taxes on rental income because he is underaged.

These are huge tax breaks. If you gained 250K, then you would save 15% taxes, 37.5K.

You can also deduct your mortgage interest, and you can use other properties to get loans for new properties. I really wish I had this extra income a few years earlier for the low interst rates and housing boom.

Real estate also seems easier to analyze then stocks which are completely wide open. If you read the debates on here, everyone seems to be knowledgable and everyone has a different opinion. Real estate is more concrete.

OT: Does anyone know how I can add my name to my parents mortgage and what tax implications this will have for me?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 250K Gain Tax Exclusion on Real estate

[ QUOTE ]
and he doesnt have to pay taxes on rental income because he is underaged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underaged in regard to taxes?... no such thing!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and he doesnt have to pay taxes on rental income because he is underaged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underaged in regard to taxes?... no such thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I was jsut skiming through "Pay Zero Taxes 2006". Maybe, they pay less because their income is smaller. Not sure exactly. Will give more info when I actually read it.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:18 PM

With regard to "investment" income, you can review forms 8615 and 8814, to see how the gov't deals with minors.

I'm not as familiar with the tax code as it relates to real estate, so would be interested in what that book has to say.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:23 PM

the mortgage tax emxemption will be gone soon for investment properties.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you lived in a house for 2 of the last 5 years, then your gains of up to 250K are not taxed.

So, it seems that a strong financial strategy would find you owning several houses, moving around from one to another (this becomes a bit more difficult if you have family)

You can also deduct your mortgage interest, and you can use other properties to get loans for new properties. I really wish I had this extra income a few years earlier for the low interst rates and housing boom.

OT: Does anyone know how I can add my name to my parents mortgage and what tax implications this will have for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure of the answer as I'm not a CPA, but I've asked this question before myself... If all three of your names are on the mortgage, I believe only one person (or couple filing jointly) is allowed to take the tax deductions on the interest payments of the mortgage and property taxes - this most likely will be your parents and I'd assume that they would be filing jointly so this would not benefit you in any way unless your parents want to give that up. You could rotate when taking the tax deductions. For example every odd year (2005) your parents would take the deductions and even years (2006, 2008, etc) you would take the deductions. Oh, don't forget that with real estate you can also depreciate the property value over 27 and 1/2 years or something like that and take more tax deductions.

Secondly, yes if you did own multiple properties and lived in them the last 2 of the 5 years you could sell the property and not pay taxes fo up to 250k (if married up to 500k). Sounds like a great idea, but how often do we see the price of our homes increase that much within such a short period of time. Yes the housing market has been hot hot hot such as in California, but we can't expect that to continue especially with increasing interest rates. Also don't forget the 6% commissions you pay the brokers when you sell too unless you sell it yourself.

Also another idea is if you are married you own property held seperately and rent one out while you live in one. Then sell the primary and move into your spouses while you buy again and rent the new one. Rinse and repeat. This is how a lot of people move up into larger homes.