Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM

Default I\'m verclemped!

oh! I'm welling up again.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Here's a topic:

If I sat down with five people and we all capped every street with no rake, over the long run we'd all break even because the cards are evenly distributed amongst us.

here's another:

If we all break even, then the one guy who can find a fold will eventually become a big loser over the long haul.

one more:

If I battle your for the blinds headsup, the pf advantages/disadvantages of my cards are irrelevant if we never show down. If you fold too much or if I fold too much, any advantages are proportionally shifted to the guy who bets too much.

sob

discusss. I'll be alright.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: I\'m verclemped!

[ QUOTE ]
If we all break even, then the one guy who can find a fold will eventually become a big loser over the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]
no. he's the big winner.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM

"If I sat down with five people and we all capped every street with no rake, over the long run we'd all break even because the cards are evenly distributed amongst us."

not much to discuss. very true.

"If we all break even, then the one guy who can find a fold will eventually become a big loser over the long haul."

this depends totally on when he finds the fold. because capping every street is generally a [censored] move, my money is on this guy.

"If I battle your for the blinds headsup, the pf advantages/disadvantages of my cards are irrelevant if we never show down. If you fold too much or if I fold too much, any advantages are proportionally shifted to the guy who bets too much."

agreed, this is how poker works; the person who bets the most money always wins. In the case of a tie, the best cards win.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:06 PM

"If I sat down with five people and we all capped every street with no rake, over the long run we'd all break even because the cards are evenly distributed amongst us."

Ofcourse.

"If we all break even, then the one guy who can find a fold will eventually become a big loser over the long haul."

Depends on when he finds the fold, he could be the big winner or loser. But since you preface this with 'we all break even", then he must break even as well.

"If I battle your for the blinds headsup, the pf advantages/disadvantages of my cards are irrelevant if we never show down. If you fold too much or if I fold too much, any advantages are proportionally shifted to the guy who bets too much."

It depends on how far one swings towards the 'folds too much side' or the 'bets too much side'. If I fold too much, but do so early, I will give up some small pots. If I bet too much and can't give up my losing hands until very late, then I can lose a lot.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the person who bets the most money always wins. In the case of a tie, the best cards win.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true
Old 12-20-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this depends totally on when he finds the fold. because capping every street is generally a [censored] move, my money is on this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If the tight guy only plays monsters (AA-QQ, AKs, AQs, KQs) he'll be a huge loser. If he ever finds a fold postflop with one of these he'll be an even bigger loser.

If he only plays cards that are a favorite against five opponents and always stays in until the river he'll be a huge winner.

If he does anything in between he'll not be a huge anything.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:57 PM

i bet you're wrong about him losing with that starting range guru. you might as well do the math, it's really not hard at all.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 PM

the player that plays only that hand range in the scenario you describe cannot possibly be a loser.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 PM

It looks like its close miles. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Math:

hero will be dealt
AA 0.45%
KK 0.45%
QQ 0.45%
AKs 0.3%
AQs 0.3%
KQs 0.3%

hero will play 2.25% of his starting hands.

hero will be in the big blind 16.6% of the time
hero will be in the small blind 16.6% of the time

if hero starts on the button and plays 1000 orbits, he'll pay 1500 small bets in blinds (750 big bets).

1000 orbits = 6000 hands.

hero will play 135 of those hands.

hero will win a min/max of 72 big bets when he plays and shows down a winner (60 of which are other people's money).

hero will lose 12 big bets when he plays and shows down a loser.

breakeven point (with blinds)
of the 135 hands
60(33 winners)-12(102 losers)=756 - 750 in blinds = <font color="green">(6bb)</font>

so the breakeven win percentage is about 33/135 or 24%

The means the hero has to make up about 7.5% equity based on the strength of his cards. (24% - the 16.6% we'd have if we played every hand like everyone else.)

does that range have 24% equity vs five opponents?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 AM

that range would have closer to 40% equity against 5 random hands.