Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Why am I so nitty?

I play like everyday, but I've never been able to play more than a 2hour session at once. Whenever I start playing I am always extremely nervous. If it's been a while my hands will shake and I'll get butterflies in my stomach. As I keep playing I get more and more uncomfortable. Winning or losing has no effect on this. It has NOTHING to do with wanting to protect a win or stop playing because of a loss. It's just a general uneasiness. After the 90min mark I will start shifting in my seat and sometimes think of excuses of why I should stop playing. Once I get close to the 2hour mark I will almost always quit, unless the game is very good then I will tough it out.

I thought this stuff would pass with time. I really have no taboos about gambling, and I have no gambling problems. In fact I would say I dont enjoy the act of gambling for gambling's sake. This is causing a problem now as the money is far better than my job, and I really want to put in more hours. I suppose I could take some sort of anti anxiety drug, but do those interfere with decision making? Id rather not resort to something like that out of principle, but if it's effective I'll do it out of pragmatism.

I thought I would just get dull to this after a while, but it really hasn't changed at all. Any advice?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Why am I so nitty?

Hi Alex,

I have wondered why I saw you leave so many good games at peak hours. I guess it wasn't because you were afraid of my action afterall.

This isn't much of a problem if you can play 2-3 times a day in short spurts. You won't be able to do 40 hours, but maybe thats ok for you. Having a job to attend to can get in the way of this though.

I think playing in short spurts can help you to play your best more often. Are you sure this is really a bad thing?

Cheers,
Snowball
Old 12-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Where have we played together? It's not a huge problem, I guess, but it does get in the way of my decision making towards the end of a session. I would really like to be able to sit down and play 4 tables for 6hrs at once. I see people playing 1500-2000 hands a day and I want to be one of those people, but this problem makes it really tough.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:49 PM

We played 3/6 LHE full games at AP. Either that or it was your impersonator.

[ QUOTE ]
I see people playing 1500-2000 hands a day and I want to be one of those people,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather play 750-1000 hands at 2bb/100 than 1500-2000 hands at 1bb/100. It sounds like what you are doing works for you, which is all that matters. Who cares what other people are doing?

Here's an idea:
Maybe you can play your regular amount of tables for 2 hours or so, and then when you start to feel a bit stressed you can kill your least profitable table for a little while and play the better ones exclusively.

I doubt you'll be playing in 8 hour shifts overnight.
If you're going to try to play longer, doing it gradually will help you to step perilously outside of your comfort zone.

Best,
Snowball
Old 12-11-2005, 10:04 PM

If the game got full that why I left. I am trying to only play SH at the moment.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 PM

Dude how long have you been playing? I find that like anything else, by pushing yourself you will adapt and get better. In a year I (verrry gradually) went from .10/.20 to 1/2 to double-tabling to 3/6SH 3-tabling. I used to play 15-30 minute sessions, then an hour at a time, and now I regularly log 6-7 hour sessions (w 2 breaks). With time, effort & guts you should overcome all obstacles
Old 12-12-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I could take some sort of anti anxiety drug, but do those interfere with decision making?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd be better off trying to find the root of your problem than to start taking prescription meds to mask it.

From your post it's very hard to tell why you get so uneasy. It sounds to me like you start out uneasy right from the very 1st hand. Then it gets worse as it goes on, and at 2 hours it just gets to be too much.

So the real question isn't why can't you play more than 2 hours, but why are you starting out nervous in the 1st place?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 AM

I started 9 months ago with $20 at 2c/4c and I play 3/6&5/10 sh HE or 7cs. Like I said before, I don't see any reason to be nervous other then the fact what I'm doint actuall matters.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:36 PM

I would advise against "pushing yourself." If the anxiety has persisted for a long time, then stretching your limits won't work. "Pushing," or attempting to flood out feelings generally only works when you have a strong aversion to it and you've avoided the task because of it. E.g., when addressing people who have fears of peeing in public restrooms, making them stand in front of a toilet in a crowded restaurant doesn't work if they force themselves to pee anyway.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Some other things might be helpful in addressing this:
1) Do you experience this sort of anxiety with any other activity?
2) If so, can you think of any conceptual link between the two?
3) Do you experience this playing live? (and I don't mean little $5 buy in home games for fun...I mean legit, serious B&M playing).

That would help a boatload.