Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Tribe loses hoffman, resigns wickman

sorry, the barrel chested bob wickman.

Three months into the post season and so far the indians have
1. lost their best setup man.
2. signed a #2/3 starter to replace the #1 starter that they are losing
3. resigned their closer when they failed to alnd an upgrade.
4. Totally failed to make any discernable attempt to replace either their inadequte right fielder or first baseman.

They had better get their asses in gear or it'll be another we just missed the playoffs season.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Tribe loses hoffman, resigns wickman

*Sigh of relief*
Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM

this year the indians are the opposite of the cavs.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Hoffman is one of the all-time greats but Bob is no slouch. 45 of 50 chances last year. Lots of teams would have loved that.

The Millwood thing is out of their hands. What Boras is asking is beyond reason. 5 years? He does not have that much left in the tank. He is bound for a big budget club, period.

The bats are worrisome but the free agent market sucks this year and the Tribe are not going to trade one of their core guys to bring in a Thome caliber player.

What about the Normar to Cleveland rumors? I think he's damaged goods but it could be interesting.

KJS
Old 12-08-2005, 06:00 PM

You don't want Nomar, trust me. Unless you enjoy predicting results as soon as he steps in the batters box...I can't tell you how many times in his last years with the Sox I'd see him come up and call "2nd pitch, double play ball" and then watch it unfold exactly as I called it. Used to be a great hitter, but no more for Nomar.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM

I'm not knocking bob, but they missed the playoffs last year and are yet to improve their team. In fact they look like they are getting worse right now- lost Howry and replaced millwood with byrd. This is a team desperately in need of upgrades at right field and first base.
5 years is a lot for Millwood, since a year ago he failed a physical which is why the tribe only got him for one year, but he proved he was healthy throughout the year. I understand the Indians not wanting to saddle themselves with a 5 yr 50 mill contract- but they have to become more active if they want to be seen serious about winning the WS. Remember that Paul Byrd will be older at the end of the next two years than millwood will be at the end of a 5 yr contract.
Meh- i'm not sold on Nomar- if hes on the cheap and can actually play first (or right) then i would say 2 yrs 5-6 mill. He doesn't seem to be getting much attention right now, and that might be a realistic price range. But again,, is it a real upgrade? hes been injured lately and not hitting nearly as well when on the field. Less of a gamble than Gonzo was last year, but for more money. I've heard rumors that the marlins fantastic young outfielder could be availible. For a guy like that (name escapes me at the moment) i would give them their top two picks from our farm system for him. He costs nothing and with him in right flyballs would disappear in one of our outfielder's gloves.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 PM

Heh- i know the feeling. Our first baseman came up with the bases loaded twice in two games against the white sox the last series of the year with 1 out both times. Both times he struck out. Both games they lost by one run. Both games we all know what would happen.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. signed a #2/3 starter to replace the #1 starter that they are losing

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you forget how good Cliff Lee and CC looked? What about Jake Westbrook? They have two top notch young starters that will mature into Cy Young caliber pitchers. Furthermore, Billy Traber is down in the minors. I'm not too concerned about losing Millwood. Sauerbeck will be able to fill in for Howry, even though it is a shame to see him go. As far as right fielders go, I haven't kept up to date, but where did Brian Giles land?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you forget how good Cliff Lee and CC looked? What about Jake Westbrook? They have two top notch young starters that will mature into Cy Young caliber pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa, let's not get carried away here.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM

johnnybeef-
I'm not saying that i dislike our team, or that we won't be competitive. We will. I am very happy with the talent evaluation and development that this team has done. We are there- on the verge of being a great team, a WS team. But that isn't going to happen with Belliard, boone, blake, broussard hitting 6-9. And its not going to happen merely maintaining our team as it is. The need a boost, an improvement, they haven't gotten it yet. I believe Giles resigned with SD.