Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: squash

[ QUOTE ]
real men play ping pong. and frisbee golf. and foosball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played disc golf in sooooo long. I was throwing with my cousin in CT on Friday and my disc broke. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
real men play ping pong. and frisbee golf. and foosball.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ snooker and - frolf
Old 11-28-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was gonna be another cooking thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

stop thinking of food tony! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from voltron's post:

here's what i don't understand. why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw this topic the other day and was keen to read/reply but then the forums stopped working.

now i see it is an uneducated post. racquetball is for goofs who lack coordination and game sense. you can't really do a drop shot in racquetball because the ball bounces too much. squash requires more skill, finesse, and game sense.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Squash is an awesome game. If the ball is "dead" then you're not warming it up. Use a red or blue dot ball which requires less warming and is easier to use. Once you're any good, move to a yellow dot ball.

Regular squash players are some of the fittest people you will meet, an hour on the court with a well matched opponent is like an 8+ mile run. Not only is it utterly great cardio exercise, you actually have to use your brain a lot while playing, and try and outwit your opponent.

Those who don't like it are either ignorant or fat and lazy (or physically unable to play due to disability of course). It's that simple. I've never heard of racketball, some US only thing I suppose.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 PM

racquetball is similar but has a big blue bouncy ball and fat stubby racquets. it's quite the same however you don't really have to move because at some point in the balls path it will come within your swinging area.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Probably quite a fun game, just not squash [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh and people get rather badly injured playing squash, it's not some weak game. Squash balls in the eye socket (this is why people wear goggles), or massive bruises and welts from a 90mph+ projectile hitting you, or broken bones from the other guy swinging his racket too close.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably quite a fun game, just not squash [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh and people get rather badly injured playing squash, it's not some weak game. Squash balls in the eye socket (this is why people wear goggles), or massive bruises and welts from a 90mph+ projectile hitting you, or broken bones from the other guy swinging his racket too close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely wouldn't say it's a dangerous game. I've been playing for over 5 years and I don't know anyone who has been seriously injured playing it. It is not really bad on your knees either, which some people initially think.

The whole "racket hitting eyes" fear is waaaay overhyped, this just doesn't happen very often. Don't let this deter you from playing the game, it happens very very rarely. I don't know anyone who has had an eye injury, and I know a lot of players. You should wear eyeguards, theyre not a big deal though. Beginner players tend to have big awkward swings and don't really know how to move well around the court, so there is a slightly higher risk from them. but still a v. small one. getting hit by the ball hurts and leaves a mark for a day or two but is not serious. And for this to hurt you have to be playing someone who can hit it hard. the ball is soft anywway.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:13 PM

if the "danger aspect" of squash scares you then you belong in front of your computer all day long.

haha, this reminds me of a game i played the other day with some random guy. i'm on a squash ladder so i meet up with him for a game. before it starts he says "ok, if i'm ever in front of you, in the way of your shot, don't shoot and it's your point, because no one wants to get hit in the back"

i said to him, 'alright, but i don't care if you hit me. you can smoke me in the back for all i care'

he looked a little perplexed. a little into our game he was sort of in front of me. i hit it off to the side, not really very close to him, and he stopped and said 'see, that's what i'm talking about those. don't hit those'

ok buds, grow a pair.

oh ya, haha, at the start he also said "where's your goggles? i got an extra pair if you forgot yours"

please.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 PM

Here is some real squash videos

I am a pretty serious squash player, and have been playing since I was about 9 years old. I am nationally ranked. I entered into a raquetball tournament for fun, into the A division, and won my first match, then lost my second match. A good squash player is automatically a good raquetball player, but a good raquetball player is probably not a good squash player.