Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Betting time and other online tells in SNG\'s

[ QUOTE ]
The issue is referenced on a semi-regular basis in the mid-high no-limit forum, arguably the most skilled forum on the site, so I believe it has value worth trying to capitalize on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair comment. I admit to having no knowledge and therefore no opinions about those posts. I still stick to my guns in this case. I think that the psychology of low-limit SNG players is such that they are much more easily manipulated with bet sizes and bubble pushing and that there are better things to spend time on then worrying about the timing issue. Perhaps OP should go review those posts if he gets a chance.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM

how can you trap using the check/fold button? do you mean that he used the check/call button?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM

I have seen people responding to HHs in this (or the MTT) forum saying that if someone has used the "Bet Pot" button on PP, then fold because it is obviously a monster. Since you can only check this button well before the action gets to you (it is not one of the options you have when it is your turn to act), if you check it you are basically saying you don't care who calls or raises, you are betting the pot size whatever it may be when it gets to you. Seems like this might be an exploitable, if dangerous, way to bluff as if you had a monster hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how can you trap using the check/fold button? do you mean that he used the check/call button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I assumed he trapped by clicking the "check/fold" button (trying to represent that he had nothing in the BB when he really had a big hand) but I guess that could backfire if he was raised.

I guess he really must have selected the "check/call any" button trying to represent that he had selected the "check/fold" button.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Buyin level matters considerably in how you view the timing of bets.

At lower buyins one can somewhat safely assume that what appears to be an automatic bet or check/call of a non-minimum bet is one made because of strength of draw or strength of hand.

That being said, you can utilize this "tell" to your advantage in reverse. By betting strong and fast with trash, you are likely to be viewed as a weakish player who is overplaying his big hand and "losing" value. It of course helps to have had this action followed by a showdown with a strong hand previously at the table.

PS - the above "strategy" probably only works at the $5.50 and $11's...