Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: quitting vs firing

[ QUOTE ]
Short term if you get fired then you will be able to collect unemployment benefits pretty much right away (I think).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you are fired the employer has to show proof as to why you are ineligible for benefits. I'm not sure how hard that is to do though, but I bet its not worth the trouble.

I'm not sure about the long term here. Getting fired never looks good and you definitely lose out on any chance of getting a good reference from your current employer. On the same note though due to lawsuits and such if you do get fired its highly unlucky your old employer will tell any new employers the reasons for your termination.

[/ QUOTE ]

ISCBTWFPD

(i'm seriously considering burning the whole [censored] place down)
Old 11-15-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you quit you cannot get unemployment. I know that.

I think there is at least an opportunity to get it after being fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I've heard mostly the same.

Anyone know if "two weeks" is courtesy or good for another reason than not pissing off your current employer.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks notice only matters if you want a reference in the future. I can't think of any good reasons not to. You might get lucky and employer may want you just to leave anyway.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short term if you get fired then you will be able to collect unemployment benefits pretty much right away (I think).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you are fired the employer has to show proof as to why you are ineligible for benefits. I'm not sure how hard that is to do though, but I bet its not worth the trouble.

I'm not sure about the long term here. Getting fired never looks good and you definitely lose out on any chance of getting a good reference from your current employer. On the same note though due to lawsuits and such if you do get fired its highly unlucky your old employer will tell any new employers the reasons for your termination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you "automatically" qualify for benefits. I think the unemployment board calls your employer (usually HR) and if it was either a "mutally agreed upon" termination, or termination not based on gross negligence, then you qualify (here in CA).

Oh - I also remember another thing from my friend's situation - HR told her explicitly that they are directed not to provide references (I think more and more corporations are going this way, especially for lower-level employees (non-execs), possible sue-age). So as far as a reference from being fired (a negative one) I'm pretty sure they can't tell your next employer - "we canned that dude".

I think they would just ocnfirm "yes, Asofel worked here from x to x date" and be done with it.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you quit you cannot get unemployment. I know that.

I think there is at least an opportunity to get it after being fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I've heard mostly the same.

Anyone know if "two weeks" is courtesy or good for another reason than not pissing off your current employer.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks notice only matters if you want a reference in the future. I can't think of any good reasons not to. You might get lucky and employer may want you just to leave anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

good to know...and he's an idiot and does in some ways, but doesn't realize how much that'd [censored] things up...that and several other programmers who want to quit as well because they're tired of the same [censored].....ASAP!?!!?ONE!!11
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 PM

If they've placed you on "notice", i.e. told you that you were not doing a good job, you can try to negotiate your leaving. Offer to leave if they are willing to acknowledge that they "laid you off", thus enabling you to collect unemployment. Also ask if they will provide a reference.