Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 AM

Default getting called into work when sick

i currently have the worst sore throat ever. i had a fever last night. my back, neck and chest hurt more than ever. i cant stop coughing. my nose is running and ive been dryheaving for the last few hours. (havent eaten anything all day, stomach growling a lot, but no apetite whatsoever)

i thought it was mono, but i guess its just a crappy cold. anyways, i had to call my boss last night at 10PM (i work graveyard, 12-9AM) and wake him up. he didnt sound happy and said hell need me tomorrow. i said id try and make it.

i just called him again and told him im feeling even worse today. he says he needs me. does this not sound stupid? i understand its my job, but why do boss' call in sick employees? does he not know i can get his other employees sick?

this sucks.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: getting called into work when sick

1. Sounds flu like and not cold like.
2. Sucks man, but don't sweat it. Don't go to work(but call in). Go to the doctor and find out whats wrong. Your boss can't fire you no matter what if you call in. Get documentation of your sickness though.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:25 AM

As a former supervisor, I have the following insight:

1. People often come into work after trying to come in sick given a little cajoling.

2. People often attempt to call in sick when not really sick.

3. A sick employee can often be productive enough to make the difference between getting [censored] from my boss and not getting [censored] from my boss.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Sounds flu like and not cold like.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dryheaving is being caused by me coughing so much that I start to puke, not influenza.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Sucks man, but don't sweat it. Don't go to work(but call in).

[/ QUOTE ]

I already called in and he told me I needed to be in.

[ QUOTE ]
Go to the doctor and find out whats wrong. Your boss can't fire you no matter what if you call in. Get documentation of your sickness though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not covered. No health insurance.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my brother told me this earlier. I don't think he belives me to be honest, but I have no reason to lie. My mother works at the same place, and she's been a trusted employee for about 5 years. All he'd have to do is ask her if I was really sick. I don't know.

[ QUOTE ]
3. A sick employee can often be productive enough to make the difference between getting [censored] from my boss and not getting [censored] from my boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't doing a whole lot yesterday but coughing and forgetting where stuff goes.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Call your boss back and tell him your just to sick to come in. The worst he can do to you is fire you. If you are a valuable employee he's not going to that because A)its hard to find good employees B)It takes a long time to hire someone.

If you're not a valuable employee he wouldn't care so much that you called in and is already planning to fire you anyways.

Stu
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 AM

I do not have cajones big enough for this. I've already made it very clear I am actually sick. Both times I have called, I woke his wife up, who in turn had to wake him up. That's his job, though, so I shouldn't feel too bad, but I do.

And currently I would say I am valued as our stock is backed up and they need all the help they can. Rotten time to get sick.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. People often come into work after trying to come in sick given a little cajoling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fervently hope your house burns down soon.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not have cajones big enough for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are really too sick you will, so in the case just suck it up and go in.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fervently hope your house burns down soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your house caught fire? Wow man, that sucks. I could really use you today though. Are you sure you can't make it in?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:12 AM

I called in sick one day with the runs, nausea, etc. My boss had an important project and there were a few other people out sick too, so she begged me to come in. After some serious begging, I finally broke down and came in, but I hate being anywhere when I have the runs, and you can understand why.

Anyway, I staggered through the day, making the occasional panicked sprint to the restroom, and finally started feeling a little better around 3:30 or so. The project got finished about a half hour later, and she asked me if I wanted to go home. I said no, it was only an hour left so I would stick it out since I was already here. So she wrote me up for coming in! Said if I were sick, I wouldn't have come in in the first place no matter how much she begged me. That's the thanks you get, eh?

Gotta be careful about doing evil people favors.