Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: My first NL post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you guys means that 3-bet here is "always" wrong? And a call is megastandard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's wrong unless they guy is a donk in some manner or another.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is actually a non-monotonic function. If he is really bad, then 3-betting is good, then as he gets better 3-betting get worse, then as he gets really good 3-betting gets better again. There are many people whom I will regularly 3-bet with KK. And without KK.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you guys means that 3-bet here is "always" wrong? And a call is megastandard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is actually a non-monotonic function. If he is really bad, then 3-betting is good, then as he gets better 3-betting get worse, then as he gets really good 3-betting gets better again. There are many people whom I will regularly 3-bet with KK. And without KK.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think is the best against the normal good (but not greeeeeat) 2/4 6-max player at party, just call huh?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM

honestly, im shocked. most limit players never fold here.
REALLY NICE LAYDOWN.
seriously.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think is the best against the normal good (but not greeeeeat) 2/4 6-max player at party, just call huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure. It really depends on the player. Yeah, I guess just call. They are still pretty passive and won't be re-raising JTs here or whatever.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 PM

If the 3rd raise with KK is a no-no, then what do you do when you're KK is an over pair to the flop? If you're in position than you're probably looking at a bet from any other over pair (AA, QQ, JJ). Then what do you do? You're then faced with a very difficult decision. An even worse situation is when you're out of position in this situation.

I think that against a reasonable opponent, a 3rd raise is not such a bad idea. If you get raised again you can let it go since the 4th raise is nearly always Aces. Of course if most of your stack will be in the pot after the 3rd raise you can just move in.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the 3rd raise with KK is a no-no, then what do you do when you're KK is an over pair to the flop? If you're in position than you're probably looking at a bet from any other over pair (AA, QQ, JJ). Then what do you do? You're then faced with a very difficult decision. An even worse situation is when you're out of position in this situation.

I think that against a reasonable opponent, a 3rd raise is not such a bad idea. If you get raised again you can let it go since the 4th raise is nearly always Aces. Of course if most of your stack will be in the pot after the 3rd raise you can just move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

because the person with aces will just call the 3rd raise, and not "cap" it, then you broke on the flop anyway. You also occaisonally let QQand worse play for set value, which means they play perfect pokah against you. Incidentally, with 100xbb stacks, and it's a reraised pot, you go broke with an overpair. no shame in that

*speaking of this, flexduck has had 2 different threads in MHNL recently where she HAS gotten away from KK in a reraised pot, but she's a pussy. literally.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM

basically the smoothcall preflop line will get you stacked against AA but will also win you more against QQ, JJ.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure. It really depends on the player. Yeah, I guess just call. They are still pretty passive and won't be re-raising JTs here or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the reason to just call, if I understand things right here, is to get as cheap as possible away from AA and get maximum value against QQ & JJ + not giving away the hand OOP? Or is it more to it?

As I said before I use to 3-bet 95% of the time here, do I lose much EV (eg. $) on that in the long run?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically the smoothcall preflop line will get you stacked against AA but will also win you more against QQ, JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

So as long as it's head's up and there are no aces, queens, or jacks or a four-flush, you're going all the way?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So as long as it's head's up and there are no aces, queens, or jacks or a four-flush, you're going all the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that after the flop you're just checking and calling unless you hit it hard?