Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:29 PM

Default White Nationalism as a Cultural Backlash

Hi Everyone,
First off, I want to state it is not my intention here to start a flame war. I merely would like to post some observations of mine and get some feedback from the learned denizens of the board. It is not my intention to debate racism or if there is racism or if racism is wrong or who is racist. All of that is tangent to the subject. If you want to call anyone racist, please do it in another thread.

I saw an article recently (in the past few weeks) on ABC news that was about a set of twins, thirteen years of age, who sang about white supremecy. This struck me that there were enough people out there who were politically oriented in such a way as to be a fan base for these girls. Now given, that they are largely driven by their parents whose motivation, at least one of which, is monetary. That got me to thinking.

There are some parallels in history between the situation in Germany pre WWII and the situation in the US. I am speaking in terms of foriegn relations, not economically. Although, economically speaking, if there were a sudden depression, the white nationalist movement would probably try to find some traction in blaming affirmative action in one form or another. Back to international relations, thought, the Germans felt that the world was literally against them prior to WWII and the same case could be made for America today. Couple that with the very real feeling that there is institutionalized racism against white people in America today, and you have a recipe for a political movement that could become a permanent fixture in the political landscape, just as MLK Jr. made the Civil Rights movement an institution in politics.

I know that white nationalism has been around for some time. I hate to cite hollywood, but the movie American History X comes to mind whenever I think about it. This was a very well done film and the impetus for Edward Norton's character to become a NeoNazi was in fact a result of his father's death, which he viewed as being caused by affirmative action hiring practices. I use the reference soley as an illustration of what I am trying to get across. I can think of several other anecdotal type stories from white males I know about their run ins with affirmative action policies.

Questions for the board:
Is White Nationalism on the rise in America?

Is this a direct result of the Civil Rights movement and the Quota and Affirmative Action laws that have been instituted in this country?

How long before politicians begin courting White Nationalists as a voting block?

Thoughts/Discussions?

X
Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: White Nationalism as a Cultural Backlash

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not appreciably.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a direct result of...the Quota...laws that have been instituted in this country

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe as a result of people erroneously thinking there are quota laws in this country.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it probably had a recent peak with the militia movements in the mid 90's. It's been on a downward trend for a long time now (though clearly any kind of white supremacy or neo-nazism is too much).

Just because there are two teenagers who sing about white supremacy doesn't make it a movement on the rise. The media like all kinds of oddball stories. Here's one about a guy who claims to have been raped by a dog on the side of the highway (BBC). It doesn't mean there's a sudden upswing in rapacious dogs.

[ QUOTE ]
How long before politicians begin courting White Nationalists as a voting block?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the Republicans have been doing it under the table since at least the 60's. They'll never do it openly, though. It would alienate their suburban moderate support, and it will become less and less a viable strategy as whites make up a smaller portion of the population.

If there's a 30's style economic depression, I'm sure some fringe party will pop up to blame it all on the minorities. I doubt that party would ever get more than 1% of the vote.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Questions for the board:

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a direct result of the Civil Rights movement and the Quota and Affirmative Action laws that have been instituted in this country?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts/Discussions?

X

[/ QUOTE ]

Never - see the out and out rejection of Trent Lott due to his oh-so-subtly coded racial comments at Strom Thurmond's birthday for a prime example of why those days are loooooonnnnngggg gone. Took less than a few days for the Bush team to (rightly) have him pushed aside and replaced with Frist - because like I said, those days are over. I daresay the Republican Party is vastly different than it was even 15 or 20 years ago. Witness the utter ghast and astonishment from the FreeRepublic community (!!!!!) when an unabashed racist won the Republican primary for a Tennessee congressional seat last year.

Minorities are becoming a larger part of the American landscape, and everyone knows it - and the battle for their political allegiance has only just begun. The neo-cons (who some say have found a home in the Bush White House) never had much use for fostering racial antagonisms anyway; and many were fighting the battles of the Civil Rights Era on the frontline. Even some of the most conservative of conservative Republicans (Sam Brownback, for one) are lauded for their issue stances in regards to African Americans.

Want the 2nd coming of the New Deal? Want liberals running this country? Let a Republican politician make an appeal to the 'white nationalist' vote. You couldn't finish counting to 10 before every single, last Wall Street/major corporate dollar did an about-face and went right into the DNC's coffers (not that some, of course, aren't going there already) - but boy, oh boy, would you see every single moderate Republican (who Bill Kristol correctly calls the $$$ guys) head running for hills and into the arms of the nearest Democratic embrace, checkbook in hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The media like all kinds of oddball stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, that stories like this are cast in the "OhMy[censored]God, these people really exist?" light should be proof positive of why such a movement has zero viability.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Minorities are becoming a larger part of the American landscape, and everyone knows it - and the battle for their political allegiance has only just begun. The neo-cons (who some say have found a home in the Bush White House) never had much use for fostering racial antagonisms anyway; and many were fighting the battles of the Civil Rights Era on the frontline. Even some of the most conservative of conservative Republicans (Sam Brownback, for one) are lauded for their issue stances in regards to African Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I would like to point out, though, that recently whites became a non majority in Texas. Whites are already a non majority in CA. A political trend that might result is politicians who are "color blind" and campaign on socioeconomic issues more and more. This would neuter the movements like the National Black Caucus or La Raza in a similar way that the KKK was neutered by the civil rights movement.

[ QUOTE ]
Want the 2nd coming of the New Deal? Want liberals running this country? Let a Republican politician make an appeal to the 'white nationalist' vote. You couldn't finish counting to 10 before every single, last Wall Street/major corporate dollar did an about-face and went right into the DNC's coffers (not that some, of course, aren't going there already) - but boy, oh boy, would you see every single moderate Republican (who Bill Kristol correctly calls the $$$ guys) head running for hills and into the arms of the nearest Democratic embrace, checkbook in hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another good sideline discussion. I remember Morgan Stanley lost a lot of business because they had Bill Clinton as a featured speaker at one of their conferences just after Bush took office. You will never be able to remove money from politics, and being affiliated with any given politician can be bad for business. A better policy for business might be to make equal donations to all candidates and just cover all the bases. I know a lot of companies do this already.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 PM

The future of politics is courting the hispanic vote. I used to think that Republicans were on the way out, but thier recent substantial success in this department makes me think they are planning ahead.

The most anti-minority group with support is the anti-outsourcing/immigration lobby. A lot of foriegn kids in my analysts class that work in the London office actually think they represent the entire country and they wouldn't be welcome.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:41 PM

Of course there are affirmative action laws. Although, I should have said policy instead of law.

It basically works such that if you get money from (universities, etc) or do business with (contractors) the Federal Government you have to ape their hiring practices and if you don't you stop getting paid. This makes affirmative action compulsory and effectively law.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back to international relations, thought, the Germans felt that the world was literally against them prior to WWII and the same case could be made for America today. Couple that with the very real feeling that there is institutionalized racism against white people in America today, and you have a recipe for a political movement that could become a permanent fixture in the political landscape, just as MLK Jr. made the Civil Rights movement an institution in politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until right here.

1. Whatever meager impositions you may perceive on your opportunities as a white man in this society, please do not ever say that we have institutional racism against whites. It's utterly ridiculous. If any policy could be described as 'institutionalized racism' against whites (which it can't), it pales in comparison to the very real racism faced by non-whites in this country.

2. How will this become a permanent fixture? Hate-driven, totalitarian politics like the Nazi party are about as unstable and fleeting as movements can get. They burn out because they offer nothing constructive to the political discourse. The only way racism and resentment survive in politics in the 'diverse,' modern world is to be sublimated into code-words and hot-button issues that never mention race explicitly.

NT
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 AM

What exactly is "white nationalism"?
I'm white, I don't feel guilty about it and I love America. Does that make me a white nationalist, and if so what's wrong with that? I'm missing the line between "white nationalist" and "white supremecist". In my mind there's a difference but I'm failing to see that distinction made by the OP or anyone else.