Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Non-Uncomfortable Silences

"That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fvck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence." - Pulp Fiction

I think that this is one of the best indicators of whether or not things are going well with a girl that you are just getting to know. If you can't sit together for 30 seconds in silence without feeling awkward, it wasn't meant to be.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Non-Uncomfortable Silences

So true. One of my favorite movie quotes.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:02 AM

Why could you not sit in silence with anyone? Why does this make them special?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 AM

If you are just getting to know her, and there is a 30 second silence, comfortable or not, the relationship is doomed.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are just getting to know her, and there is a 30 second silence, comfortable or not, the relationship is doomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the situation. If you spent the entire day with someone, I don't think there is anything wrong with not having anything to say for 30 seconds. I think its a better sign if you can feel confortable not saying anything than feeling compelled to bullsh*t about the weather.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 AM

I think you can learn to be with each other. Meant to be sounds like you can expect a relationship to have no sticking points or awkwardness, but I think mistakes are cool as long as you're both mature enough to give each other some breathing room. I think a lot of people panic when everything isn't perfectly smooth instead of just sharing a grin about it and moving on. Sometimes people have to learn to accept themselves before their own silence doesn't freak them out or make them feel like they're failing in some way. And to accept that their partner might find them okay even if they're not putting on their usual song and dance routine to try to bring down the house and get an encore. Giving your partner space to relax can be a relief for them, too, if they don't start up a panic cycle of their own about it.

It's funny how people can get so self-conscious that they can fill every quiet moment with fear and doubt.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:18 AM

I made this comment to my current girlfriend. I really don't mind just walking with her or laying around with her without talking. I could never do that with any of my other relationships. Telling...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:44 AM

I somewhat agree with ChipWrecked's notion that early on silence is a bad sign, but I think it's far from a total indicator of doom. I'm too tired to think of an eloquent and efficient way of drawing the line though.

I agree with said quote.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:08 AM

Catch up.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. If you're liking the other party, don't you want to talk to them, find out stuff, tell them stuff about you...

If you dig the other party, then 30 seconds of silence means you're scared, and if you don't think so, you're kidding yourself.

PS: I'm talking about if you're still in the early 'getting to know you' stage, 1st date and start of 2nd date type thing.