Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 PM

Default What\'s my line on the flop?

About 300 left in a 5+1 rebuy on Party that pays top 120. Blinds are 200/400. A lot of limping going on at my table and aggression has been pretty rare.

Important players:
Hero: t12,500
Villain: 13,000

5 folds. Villain (who has frequently limped from MP and LP) limps in from 1 before the cutoff. He has played reasonably well post-flop and he does not limp reallyweak hands. His range is probably any low-medium pair and from 9Ts and up (excluding AK).

I am dealt QTo and decide to try to take the pot right here. My image is pretty TAG and I have only shown down strong hands the past few orbits. I raise to 1800, the BB calls and so does the Villain.

Flop comes Q,Q,K with two hearts. BB and villain check to me and I bet around half the pot. BB quickly folds and villain minraises me. Hero...

At this point I want to make my decision right now instead of calling down, which will put a serious dent in my stack if I'm beat. I don't put the villain on a bluff and a drawing hand also seems unlikely. I'm thinking he could have a king but his minraise leads me to believe I might be up against a stronger queen.

What's my play? Fold, push, call and reevaluate the turn? This hand had me really confused...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: What\'s my line on the flop?

I'd push it right here personally. Most villians don't raise KQ or KK here IMO, and while I think there is a small chance he's got a Q, I really think it's more likely he's got a K, a flush draw, or even a hand like JJ/TT and doesn't believe your continuation bet. This would be easier if you'd used the hand converter since it would show the pot size on the flop, but if my quick math is right calling here will have gotten between 35-45% of your stack in on this one hand, and I certainly think the pot is big enough to warrant trying to take right there rather than giving a free card. I push, and if I get knocked out so be it.

-Rizen
Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 PM

Yes calling does commit almost 40% of my stack. Thats why I really wanted to make my decision on the flop and either push or fold. I was having a tough time deciding between the two as my reads on the villain told me he had a legitimate hand. I was also thinking that there was a chance he might be trying to take a cheap stab at the pot with a medium pocket pair like you said.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

I might try re-raising here so you have a better idea of where you stand. Some of these minraises are just bluffs because they think you're bet is just a continuation bet and you don't have a hand. A re-raise might make him go away, or tell you for sure that he has a hand like K-Q or A-Q. It will probably cost less than whatever it would have to show the hand down.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 PM

I considered this approach but concluded that I didn't have enough chips and would be pot committed to a push. If I had a little more room to maneuver this would definitely be my line.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Anyone else? I'll post results after a few more responses.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 PM

I'd push here, he might have a king there, or maybe a straight/flush/straight flush draw or some other PP and doesn't believe you have a queen there.

Regardless, you hit the flop you wanted to hit with that hand, and if you are going to fold there, I think you will fold the winning hand too often for it to pay off. Since calling potcommits you, I'd push the rest in right there.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 AM

I decided pushing was my best option and villain turns over KQ for the flopped full boat.

Should I have raised the flop a bit more?