Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: apples / miso soup

Dont buy the powder. I have a hard time believing the powder could be any good.

Go to your Asian grocer and buy some miso paste for making miso soup, and some instant dashi powder. Dashi is a very common broth in Japanese cooking btw.

Its as easy as putting a packet of instant dashi broth powder into some water, and spooning some miso paste to get miso soup. You might wanna add some optional shallots, mushrooms, tofu, soy sauce, etc etc.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM

This was my thought. Based on what I know of Miso, it's not hard to just make it outright.

Miso is really up there in terms of quality comfort food.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:39 PM

I've never had it in powder form. I had it in paste. But even the pastes vary in quality or taste.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to your Asian grocer and buy some miso paste for making miso soup

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would want powdered miso, since "real" miso is just a paste that you throw into a bowl with some boiling water. The only difference is that the paste has be refrigerated once it's opened, but there's absolutely nothing to it. Adding green onions, seaweed, etc, is optional.

I have no idea what the name of the stuff I buy is (its all in japanese) but it comes in a square tub with a gold label and it's quite good.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Kikkoman makes a very good instant miso soup if all you want to do is the hot water thing. I agree with the above poster about it being much better if you make it yourself. Just stop by an Asian foods shop and get some dried dashi (fish stock) and some miso paste out of their fridge. Dissolve the dashi powder in boiling water, add a couple teaspoons of miso and you've got miso soup. Add some dried seaweed and some tofu chunks if you want.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the kikkoman instant is good. gf picked it up at world market, i think it was like $2.50 for 3 packets and the packets make like a small mug's worth of soup. not a good deal, but it's probably because of where it was purchased. maybe i'll try making it myself soon, but this did what i wanted it to do.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:12 AM

I'll check out the pinovas. No help from me on the miso soup. One of my favorite lunches is the organic tortilla with hummus, tomato, edam and baby spinach. Good stuff. I have to eat the healthy stuff between polluting my body with a night on the town with El D.