Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Why is this so wrong?

I made a cheeky remark in a previous thread, it went kinda like this:

stud is easy! play high wired/split pairs, 3-straight, 3-flush, 3 of a kind, and fold if you do not improve by 5th.

I know there is a heck of a lot more to that than stud, if the game were that easy, nobody would lose! that is your basic starting strat. right?

I'm currently working my way through "Winning 7-Card Stud" by Ashley Adams, highly recommended by a friend of mine. A section in the book mentioned what I said above.

Anyway, thoughts? Comments? The reaction I received from the previous thread made me feel like I committed a war crime!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Why is this so wrong?

Your statement is greatly over simplified, to the point of being wrong. For example 3 straights are bad news for most players unless they have some other redeeming quality, like being suited or being live big cards. Another problem with a 3 straight is a lot of times you are drawing to a 2nd best hand if someone else is going for a flush.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:07 PM

Read 7CSFAP, get some experience, and then reevaluate your statement.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:11 PM

You're not ridiculously off-base, except for the "fold if you do not improve by 5th". This will get you killed if you are in anything approaching a reasonable game.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your statement is greatly over simplified, to the point of being wrong. For example 3 straights are bad news for most players unless they have some other redeeming quality, like being suited or being live big cards. Another problem with a 3 straight is a lot of times you are drawing to a 2nd best hand if someone else is going for a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i understand this, i do not see 234 and get excited and auto play it. the 3-straight hands i like starting with a hand like 9TJ or TJQ, and only if I do not see any of the cards I need to complete the straight, cards like: 78QK, etc.

Yes my statement is over-simplified and there is a lot more to 7 stud than I lead on. I'm sure in about 2-3 months I will look back on my remarks and laugh.

I have enjoyed success in the week I have played stud, nothing to write home about and certainly nothing to retire on. I'm a semi-serious player, meaning poker is only an additional source of income for me, and play maybe...14 hours a week max.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read 7CSFAP, get some experience, and then reevaluate your statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

aye, i plan on reading 7CSFAP, don't want to spread myself thin so to speak. I will practice the concepts I learn from Winning 7-Card Stud and will continue to read threads here. I refrain from posting in other threads because my experience is limited. I'll continue to learn from other posters.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll continue to learn from other posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea.

[ QUOTE ]
I refrain from posting in other threads because my experience is limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.
I think AndyB recently said something along the lines that he had the greatest improvements to his game when he stoped worrying about being wrong in posts. I learn much more responding to other posts then starting my own.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad idea.
I think AndyB recently said something along the lines that he had the greatest improvements to his game when he stoped worrying about being wrong in posts. I learn much more responding to other posts then starting my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

after the cold reception i received from other Stud poster i'm a little phased. =/ I'll be playing a bunch this weekend so I'll post some hand examples. Unfortunately I'm not sure the HH from The Gaming Club works with 2p2..the HH interface is awful.

anyway, off to work! bai bai
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a cheeky remark in a previous thread, it went kinda like this:

stud is easy! play high wired/split pairs, 3-straight, 3-flush, 3 of a kind, and fold if you do not improve by 5th.

I know there is a heck of a lot more to that than stud, if the game were that easy, nobody would lose! that is your basic starting strat. right?

I'm currently working my way through "Winning 7-Card Stud" by Ashley Adams, highly recommended by a friend of mine. A section in the book mentioned what I said above.

Anyway, thoughts? Comments? The reaction I received from the previous thread made me feel like I committed a war crime!

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the part about the str8s and flushes being live. Furthermore, I'd recommend folding busted flushes and str8s on 4th, rather than waiting till 5th.

Truth be told, winning at lower limit stud IS that easy. My first stud book was also Adams' book, and his guidance helped me build a bankroll with which to move up and hone my skills further.

Now, at higher levels, playing ABC poker isn't as lucrative (although you can usually still do OK). The higher limit players will figure your style out, and won't give you much action when you have a hand.

I love how people knee-jerk by "read 7CSFAP." If you're just starting out, do NOT read 7CSFAP. Most of that stuff isn't applicable to the game most beginners play. Stick with Adams, and play a TON...its the surest recipe for stud mastery. Read 7CSFAP only after you've logged many thousands of hands.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM

grb, if he's only playing pairs of the large fashion, he's missing out on a lot, hence my recommendation to read 7CSFAP. Which recommends other pairs with good kickers.

If OP is playing low limits, failing to limp in with small pairs will cost him money as his fishy oppontents will often give free cards and call paired door cards.

To OP, i was one of the posters who was shocked at your original post which involved you saying something to the effect of "stud is easy, I kicked ass in my first time at the table..", not so much your advice on starting requirements. You very easily could have played solid poker your first time down, and lost a buy in. That's all.