Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Default 100NL, KK line check

CO is a HUGE calling station. His range is pretty much any-two pre-flop. UTG is also very very loose (VP$IP 79) but somewhat aggro who overbets his monsters. Both of these players are plain horrible so don't expect them to think on a very deep level.

Two hands before I got AA and raised 6xBB after two limpers and took it down with a pot-sized bet on the flop. The hand after that I get KK and the same pattern repeats. So this is my third hand in a row when I'm making a big raise pre-flop and continuing with a strong bet. I'm expecting to get called if either one of them hits any piece of this board.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($78.36)
Button ($223.26)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($158.50)</font>
BB ($341.75)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($89.20)</font>
MP ($100.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $6.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $6, CO calls $6, Button folds.

Flop: ($23) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG calls $20, CO folds.

Turn: ($63) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

River: ($113) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG calls $37.20 (All-In), Hero calls $37.20.

Final Pot: $187.40
Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: 100NL, KK line check

In a vacuum, I don't like the line taken -- especially on the turn and river. On the turn the check smells of weakness. And on the river you can only beat a stone-cold bluff (especially since you're behind someone who just has an Ace).

I think you either need to lead the turn on a probe bet (and plan to fold if there's any resistance) or just check/fold. But check/calling _both_ a turn and river bet seems like a bad idea (you might as well lead out and pick up some fold-equity).

Of course, all of this depends on your read. If you strongly believe your opponent is bluffing, you can call the river and turn. But, the problem here is that he has taken control of the betting, and it's hard to figure out where you stand (especially against an opponent who is capable of playing almost any two cards).
Old 10-13-2005, 09:06 PM

If you were willing to call all-in, why wouldn't you bet the ace? 79 VPIP means he will play A-rag any day. If he calls a 2/3 PSB on the A, he probably has one (he's a calling station, so he isn't worried about his kicker). If he raises or bets the river, at least you didnt call away your stack. As it stands you have no idea if he has an ace or not. Edit: As you said, he overbets his monsters, so I think the river is a fold. Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] could also account for a medium turn bet.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 PM

I'd bet $32-ish on the turn and prolly fold to a raise, unless you think he is capable of semi-bluff raise.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 PM

In the heat of the battle I thought I was already pot commited on the turn as he had around the pot-size left in his stack. As I said he was somewhat aggro so I figured my passive line would save me some money when he tries to represent the ace, which is something I thought he was capable of. But I guess it would have been better to save the 35$ and wait for a better spot.

One interesting idea I came up with was to overbet flop. I know it might reveal my hand but I'm pretty sure I will still get a call from any T or better. Does anyone like this or am I way off here?

In the actuall hand Villain showed A8 and MHING.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:46 PM

You are right. He is a bit short. I'd say a turn bet commits you. Ugly spot.

I can see checking and see what he does. If he checks, I'd check-call a non heart river. If he pushes, I'd probably fold. As he bet so weak, I might check-raise all in.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:13 AM

defenitely something i dont like about this hand v this villain. since we know he is willing to call 6 bb pf, maybe u should consider raising more pf, like 10bb, to get it hu with villain. just a thought. it can get uncomfortable playing this hand against a villain like this oop. had there been an open before you then the hand plays easier. u have to protect ur hand on the flop...against an agressive opponent i would go for a check raise all in on flop, but free card is a disaster here so u need to be reasonably sure opponnent will bet. i am rambling.....need to get the baby hu if u can. being oop sucks.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:40 AM

I'm afraid that wouldn't have worked. It was either both of these guys or I win the blinds. And trust me I don't mind playing with these two guys for a big pot with KK even if it was OOP.