Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Been to any good concerts lately?

Saw Coldplay six weeks ago at Shoreline. First real concert I've ever been to. My cousin from Kansas was in town for a few days, and had an extra ticket, so really, how could this possibly go wrong? Free tickets to Coldplay?

Here's how.

We didn't have real seating. We had lawn seating. I'm told we need to show up 3!!! hours early to have any hope of securing seats where we could even see the band. Otherwise, we'd have to watch the LIVE concert that WE WERE attending on a projector screen. We got there three hours early and proceeded in a 30-minute long ordeal to park in the middle of some massive dirt lot in the middle of the bay. We then walked for 20 minutes to get into the amphitheatre, to find that no, we would not actually be able to see the band from our seats, but we would have sycophants from Make Trade Fair come and badger us about WalMart and the poor, poor coffee farmers. This actually provided some entertainment, as there is nothing more fun than flustering a Fair Trader.

Sycophant: Hi, would you like to sign the BIG NOISE petition?

Me: What would you be making this BIG NOISE about?

Sycophant: Oh, we'd just be raising awareness, you know, making noise about poverty, showing the world leaders that people care about poverty.

Me: You care about poverty...wow. Original. So what policies would you have the world leaders enact?

Sycophant: Uh...

Me: Well, how about CAFTA? Are you in favor of that?

Sycophant: What now?

That kept me occupied for about fifteen minutes...unfortunately there were still an hour and forty-five minutes till Coldplay came on. And then the sun went down. And it was super-cold. So cold... I waited in line for half an hour to pay $65 for a Coldplay hoodie that I would never wear in public in order to avoid scorn. While in line another, more intelligent sycophant from Make Trade Fair jumped me. I dispensed with him, thinking that maybe this concert was like Mario Bros. and at the end I'd have to defeat Chris Martin in the boss's lair.

I got back to my seat in time to catch the beginning of the opening band's act. Woo-hoo! Music.

Too bad they were AWFUL. Imagine a Staind-Creed hybrid, but more monotonous and with less range. I tried to listen to my Ipod instead, but this being Shoreline there was no way my earbuds could outpace the massive speakers in front of me.

So after an hour of this shitfest, Coldplay finally comes on. And they were very good. I mean, wow. What a great music video. I'm so glad I got to wait for three hours in cold weather in order to watch that music video.

And then sit for another half an hour in the dirt parking lot, waiting to get out.

So, short answer to your question, no.

Will
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 PM

I saw the Oregon Symphony do Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, and Beethoven's 7th. It was excellent.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw Beck

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw him a few years ago during the Sea Change tour. What an amazing show.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:16 PM

dungen
acid mother's temple

the latter was the best show i saw this year i think.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Yes,

I saw Dwight Yoakam two Thursdays ago. It was obviously incredible and arguably the best concert I've ever been to.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:44 PM

saw coldplay a few weeks ago at madison square garden

scored tickets 2 days before, got my gf to drive down 150 miles, went to our seats (100 level, listened to the opening act)

just before coldplay came on, i put my sniper scope on and scored some seats to the side of the stage, w/ a full view of the band, the same seats that were 200 apiece on ebay the day before.....whoever had the seats never came and i really enjoyed the show w/ my girlfriend.

my morning jacket friday in philly.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:46 PM

I saw System of a Down with the Mars Volta two weeks ago at Nationwide arena here in Columbus. It was incredibly awesome.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Damn this thread to hell. I'm married with children, the next concert I'm likely to see is the [censored] wiggles. (Sadly, I now know most of there songs and catch myself singing them sometimes when not trying to amuse the bambinas. What have I become??? Ok, get a grip, put some Cassandra Complex on and pretend your still salvagable fnord.)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Saw Bloc Party at the Warfield in San Fran two weeks ago. The concert was awesome. I love their music but wasn't sure how some of the slower songs would be live, but it was fantastic. Also, the Kills opened for them and they were pretty interesting.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Goddamn you. I wanted to see that Beck concert here in Chicago but it was all sold out by the time I found out about it. I just got into Beck like a month ago at the suggestion of a 2+2er. Maybe it was you. His music is some of the best I've heard, but there is so much trash to filter through.