Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Huuuge River Overbet

EZ fold. You said he played strait forward. You put 25 bucks in the pot, now you are gonna put in 175$ more? Just hope that next time he does this you have a hand you can call with.

Pretty much the only time to call this is if you have a strong read or you have watched the guy get out of line at the table.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:33 AM

I'd probably fold here. I've seen a lot of bets like this from someone who has the boat and hopes you just made your flush. There should be better opportunities to take this donk's money.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's good to hear that people think an overbet like that is often someone with the nuts hoping for a call from someone who thinks they're bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd put him on a flush before a boat, though. He could have the nut flush, but he could also be blasting with a lower flush not suspecting you beat him.

If he's filled up and hoping you just made your flush, doesn't he bet some amount that's less likely to make you think and more likely to induce you to raise? $200 in a $75 pot has you thinking. $50 or $75 into the same pot seems to me more likely to be called or raised. Is he smart enough to make a "please don't call" bet like $200 when he really wants a call?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:30 PM

I think I'd call with the ace-high flush here, but not the king-high.

Boat's possible...but the jack-x combinations are all pretty weak.

Of course, the odds of him holding 2 spades isn't all that great either, but I've seen it happen.

Personally, if I have trips, and a 3rd suit comes down, I'm not gonna be betting huge into the hand. More than likely he has a flush or boat of some type.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Some good advice: do NOT chase flushes / straights into paired flops -- you could already be drawing dead or could be up against an opponent that 1) has a MADE HAND and 2) has MORE outs than you (trips drawing to a boat = 10 outs vs your 9 outs to a flush).... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'd have let this one go 1st chance I had -- there's ALWAYS another hand coming........ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 AM

After reading this thread, I played the following hand (1/2NL Pokerstars):

I start the hand with $355, opponent has over $300 also.

I'm in the BB w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. There are 4 limpers around to me...I raise to $11. UTG limper calls, everyone else folds.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I bet $15 and he raises to $298. What could he have? Maybe a set, but why the hell would he raise so much? After coming close to not following my own advise about folding, I finally come to my senses and lay it down.

I type "nice bet, i guess"...he shows me Q9 for the flopped nut straight. Then he types "i didn't want you sucking out a flush on me".

Stunning.