Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Harassment at the workplace

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I had a sensitive experience with this tonight at work. Basically 15 of us were just hired, we are receiving x amount of training for 5 weeks, and we all train together..blah blah...i've been sitting next to this girl all week (ugly, not attractive in the slightest, i know one of you OOTiots will ask!)

anyway..she asked me tonight if it was warm in the training room. i say no, it's not warm. the guy next to me says "yeah it is kinda warm." i jokingly say to him "Yeah it's so hot in here i'm just gonna rip off my shirt!" he laughs and says "Yah man we will turn this into a beach!"

now a little backstory for you. the girl has been acting like a battle axe all night. "I'm so tired, i don't wanna be here, i'm in a bad mood." whoa wait...she has been moaning and complaining ALL WEEK!

i'm aware of 3rd party harassment and obviously so is this girl. as our trainer walks near us she says in a loud bitchy voice "hey you guys, that's harassment and i don't like it!" WHOOOOOOAAAAA our trainer has a chat with us and tells us to be careful as that can be viewed as sexual harassment.

so if this (insert nasty word here) wanted to get us in a world of trouble, she could have! (in theory!)

do any of you have horror stories of getting written, getting a warning, or whatever for the dumbest and smallest thing that can be viewed as harassment? heard a few interesting stories but i will let you guys share first!
Old 09-17-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Harassment at the workplace

if that can be viewd as harrasment, find a new job.

also, find a new avatar.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:07 AM

SIIHP

And [censored] it until she bleeds out.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 PM

i'm not going to find a new job, it's a pretty decent job and pays fairly well. i'm usually very good with what i say and do at the workplace. i have yet to curse or say/do anything offensive. my other co-workers are a completely different story! my co-worker was just being a bitch when she said that, but i guess i'll have to be more careful lol

one example i heard from that workplace..a couple worked there, and the guy was on break and the girl was at her desk. he went up to her and rubbed her shoulders because she was stressed out. a 3rd party saw this, reported it and the two of them got written up for sexual harassment. that's pretty [censored] stupid IMO, but i would never do someething like that in the first place. anyway.....
Old 09-17-2005, 02:55 PM

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

So the next time this ugly bitch says something to you, make sure she knows how sensitive you are to conversation about the weather or the project you've been assigned to.

Outside of that, actually sit down and speak to the manager or whoever if you think this chick is going to be a problem. Lay out your concerns with how she seems to act in a group work situation, and just be mature about it. Much better to have everybody in the know and have the boss able to take care of it than to get fired and have some BS lawsuit on your hands.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy was on break and the girl was at her desk. he went up to her and rubbed her shoulders because she was stressed out. a 3rd party saw this, reported it and the two of them got written up for sexual harassment. that's pretty [censored] stupid IMO, but i would never do someething like that in the first place. anyway.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to get back rubs at the office. That would be cool. I think all workplaces should have a back rub guy who makes the rounds.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:12 PM

yes, on monday i am requesting a seat change. she's a lot like that girl from Beavis & Butthead, Daria aka "Diarrhea." same kind of voice, same kind of sarcasm and same kind of negativity lol. ANd I'm going to tell my trainer why: she's a bitch, she does not work with the rest of the team, and way too [censored] sensitive.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, on monday i am requesting a seat change. she's a lot like that girl from Beavis & Butthead, Daria aka "Diarrhea." same kind of voice, same kind of sarcasm and same kind of negativity lol. ANd I'm going to tell my trainer why: she's a bitch, she does not work with the rest of the team, and way too [censored] sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be professional about it. Otherwise *you* might be seen as the whiner. But that's definitely the way to go.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:24 PM

I'm a young, male high school teacher. Twice, I've had to deal w/ harrassment issues.

1) A girl wanted out of my class because I winked at her and made her "feel uncomfortable." I have a habit of winking as I'm making jokes or commiserating with someone. I'm have to break it.
2) Two "special" girls claimed I touched their asses. Thankfully, my admin grilled them and their story unravelled.

This is a friggin nightmare when it happens, but thankfully I have admins who are supportive and back me up. Still, we have to go through due process - paperwork, meetings, weeks of agony.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:25 PM

yea dude, dont say stuff like that around a girl you know little about.

I train a lot too so Im always seeing new people. Whenever I get a girl i need to train for a week i act extremely professional until it is clear its cool if things are lightened up a bit. I usually present small opportunities for her to crack a joke or say something perverted, if she does its cool, if she doesnt usually it means shes a nit. Same thing goes for guys too, people are weird..