Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Clonie Gowen

Winning is winning. Chris Ferguson sucked out badly on TJ, but he still won. I'm sure Clonie had some other fine hands that maybe you didn't see. I've talked to her and she didn't seem to suck. She cashed in the ME. I don't believe she's on the same level as Harman, Duke, Liebert, or Tran, but I think she's probably way better than the majority of people here.

I agree that she's probably very skilled with this whole marketing thing, but it seems like people want to assume she must suck because she hasn't had great enough success to get on their radar.

Seems unfair.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, anyone who gets insulted by posts in these forums should have their head examined.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, anyone who gets insulted by posts in these forums should have their head examined.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. you just got pwned.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:23 AM

she's the one in the middle right?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2005, 12:56 PM

How does Phil Hellmuth come into this example of taking the money and running?

Phil has done a ton of giving back to the poker world by writing articles for Card Player for years, announcing on the old WSOP broadcasts, and generally being very nice to his fans. Phil was one of the first "name" players to really go out of his way to promote the game.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does Phil Hellmuth come into this example of taking the money and running?

Phil has done a ton of giving back to the poker world by writing articles for Card Player for years, announcing on the old WSOP broadcasts, and generally being very nice to his fans. Phil was one of the first "name" players to really go out of his way to promote the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously, Phil is great for the game! He loves it and promotes the hell out of it through articles, books, DVDs, public appearances, and attention-getting antics on TV that increase ratings. The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10th in a WPT Costa Rica tourney, 1st in the 2003 WPT ladies night, other success, but nothing especially noteworthy of which I'm aware.

I think she makes a solid living at poker or did until she got so many other things going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget that she came in second in blind man's bluff in 2004
Old 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the money pumped into the poker economy by the players Hellmuth brought into poker makes up for it.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 AM

I don't know if she's primarly a tourny player or cash game player, but here are her tourny accomplishments:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=21433
Old 09-10-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true.

The problem with hellmuth is that the way he acts will eventually lead to people hating poker. I mean if everyone acted like a jackass everytime they got bad beat it would be hard for newbies to want to play. I mean who wants to get yelled at and told he sucks and what not. As far as promoting the game, he didnt do much in that respect, I mean he hasnt really won wpt tourneys or anything, Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey and Barry Greenstein have done more to promote the game than hellmuth, I mean everyone likes to watch the crazy way Gus plays, and the fact that Greenstein donates to charity.