Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are your opinions on this decision
Killing two birds with one stone what's the problem. 1 11.11%
A step backwards for America, hydro is the wave of the future. 2 22.22%
bad idea, our environment is already in a crisis. 6 66.67%
I trust our admin knows what they are doing. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Do you play this differently preflop? Postflop?

Sorry I can't find this tournament in my hand history so I'll have to recreate it from memory.

Down to the final three players in a 30 person tournament on party. Payout is fairly flat, with 3rd getting $30, 2nd getting $37.50 and 1st getting $45.

Blinds are at 400/800.
UTG (2,600) folds. Villain (18,000) in SB raises 1600 to 2400 total. Hero (9,400) is in BB with KQ suited. Hero?

My read on Villain is that he is a fairly straightforward and ABC player that is probably not attempting a steal with garbage. I put him on a medium to high pocket pair or two cards higher than 10.
------------------------------------------------------------
Flop comes Q J 7 with two diamonds and none of my suit. Villain bets 4800. Hero?

I'm now trying to figure out the range of hands that has me beat after my initial read and am contemplating folding to make sure I move up in the money. The large bet looks a little suspicious to me, however, and I am thinking that he might be trying to push me off with a medium pocket pair or AK or some other weak draw.

I will post info on how I played this hand after getting some replies and poll info.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Do you play this differently preflop? Postflop?

allin.. and allin

for me atleast... i dont give SB much credit.. KQs not bad.. in this case it's better than Ax.. i'd say less likely to be dominated.

and what kind of flop wer eyou hoping for?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:40 PM

I was happy to see the flop but I was having second thoughts on whether he had a better hand than I initially thought And when you said all in Exit, I assume you meant call preflop and push post? Thanks for the response.
-Jack
Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 PM

no i meant, push preflop, but since you didnt, definitely push on that flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no i meant, push preflop, but since you didnt, definitely push on that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on,
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM

I think I made my error preflop. Instead of pushing, I reasoned it would be safer to see the flop and make my decision from there. I felt that even if the flop brought me nothing I could take a stab at it (if villain checks) and a fold wouldn't be disastrous to my stack as I would still have around twice the shortstack. After reflecting on this hand I think pushing preflop was definitely the right play as it would induce a fold with most of the hands villain could be holding.

FYI I push all in after catching my queen on the flop and villain immediately calls the extra thousand or so chips with two pair, jacks and queens. He hits another jack on the turn and I am out in 3rd.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 AM

All-in / All-in. 3 Handed, you can't just expect him not to steal with garbage. Unlikely he has KK//QQ, AK/AQ is possible but also less likely due to your holding, AA of course is always possible. Most importantly however, this is 3 handed, so the chance of him having a monster pair or a dominating hand to yours is dramatically lower. KQ is a very good hand 3 handed for a situation like this. You are usually coinflipping if he calls you, and most of the time he is folding here. Easy pre flop push, you want to maximize the value of your overcards if called and are perfectly happy with a fold.