Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you crap in the backyard?
Yea I gots to go 79 55.24%
No (what do you do then)? 64 44.76%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005, 05:55 PM

Default home game penalty for cussing - what to do?

Just looking for help with a fair way to penalize people in home tourneys.

History:
I take issue with the use of G.D. This is well know among my friends. Most of them try to avoid using it but it slips, I understand. I don't blow up or get all pissed about a few slips. However, one individual in particular seems to try to use it as much as he can or push the envelope as hard as he can - just to be an ass. It doesn't mess my game up but it bothers me that someone (an adult) would act like this....thus:

I am thinking of enaacting a no cussing rule in our home tourneys (yeah, I know, you don't have to say it). This way seems fairer. All cuss words are banned - which effets me.

My question: What is the best way to penalize for this?

1st a warning then: sit out a certain amount of time, take a certain number of chips from them and put it in the next pot, or other?

If time, how long?

If chips, how many? X# of BBs?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: home game penalty for cussing - what to do?

What will all the players husbands do while their wives are playing poker with you?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What will all the players husbands do while their wives are playing poker with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

just freaking vote! smart-ass!

yeah, I knew I was setting myself up for this kind of stuff. oh, well.

Seriously though. I am trying to be fair by eliminating all cuss words - which does effect me. I think it's the best(fairest) option. Help here is appreciated, not smart-assed comments so you can build you post count.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously though. I am trying to be fair by eliminating all cuss words - which does effect me. I think it's the best(fairest) option. Help here is appreciated, not smart-assed comments so you can build you post count.

[/ QUOTE ]

grow up. if u get upset by someone cussing thats your problem. consider wearing ear plugs
Old 08-10-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grow up. if u get upset by someone cussing thats your problem. consider wearing ear plugs

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, this seems a little harsh. If you're a religious person its not too much to ask your guests to take reasonable measures to not offend your religious sensibilities.

To the OP, a cursing penalty sounds like a great way to kill your home game. If you have a problem with the actions of one guy just don't invite him back. It sounds like the rest of them are doing what they can to comply already. Penalizing them on top of it will have them looking for another game.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? grow-up? tell that to the tourney directors who are implamenting a penalty for using the F word....which I don't have a problem....how bout this...

I am the one who always has the tourney at my place! I never said I had a problem with cussing, ass hat! I said I had a problem with G.D. Does anyone actually read post or just post to try to bump their post count? I said that I was, get ready, here it comes, thinking about a no cussing rule. I wanted to see what some fair penalties would be. I don't have a problem with cussing. I just thought it was the fairest way to deal with it. I also don't let them smoke weed on my balcony anymore....guess I need to grow up!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, this seems a little harsh. If you're a religious person its not too much to ask your guests to take reasonable measures to not offend your religious sensibilities.

To the OP, a cursing penalty sounds like a great way to kill your home game. If you have a problem with the actions of one guy just don't invite him back. It sounds like the rest of them are doing what they can to comply already. Penalizing them on top of it will have them looking for another game.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...most of the guys are considerate...it's a small game, too, so I have a hard time with banning anyone. I don't want to make it a penalty for just daying G.D. because that didn't seem fair. I will probably end up just telling the one guy if he can't watch himself then not to worry about coming back. He was trying to be an ass and I'm not sure why...they know I don't tilt easy, especially for $5. I make more playing on-line but enjoy playing poker with my friends. He isn't making it very much fun for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 PM

Other - Apologize for being a nit, and never bring this up again.

Come on man, it's not like they're saying it in front of your kids or something. You're an adult; act like one.

-Craig
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Come on man, it's not like they're saying it in front of your kids or something. You're an adult; act like one.

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

so if someone does soemthing that offends you, you apologize for being a nit?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

so if someone does soemthing that offends you, you apologize for being a nit?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just try avoid being a nit in the first place. You don't even have to apologize; just drop the subject.

People are going to be offended. It's part of life. If you want to have friends you won't make a big deal out of stuff like this. It will make your life a lot easier if you just choose not to. Sure, let them know that you don't like it, but if they are inconsiderate or just think you're being unreasonable, I think it's time to let this one go.

If it really offends you that much that you can't stand to be around them, then don't be around them. Good luck finding other people just like you that don't find anything annoying about you.

I don't mean to come across as an ass; I'm giving you sincere advice.

-Craig