Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Experiment at the lowest level

Cause I was so freaking bored....I decided to try a little experiment:

I played 02/.04 Limit Hold em, had my entire bankroll in played raised every pot, bet and raised on every street even if the flop didn't hit me.

I did this on 3 tables and each time, I was berated by my opponents, called every name in the book, and all 3 tables broke within a matter of 15 hands... EVeryone was calling me with hands like 8 high and pocket 2s with 3 face cards on the board..

What do you contribute this too??

Just thowing stuff against the wall and see if it sticks..

Read my Blog about Poker and life -- I'll try an enlighten and entertain
Old 08-08-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Experiment at the lowest level

I usally do this at the .02/.04 stud tables (it's funner and easier to suckout at that game) and get the same results. People seem to have a problem equating winning pots to winning money. They get enraged when they see someone winning lots of pots and they're not. And when you bet and raise at every opportunity you will be winning the most pots at the table.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:23 AM

You trying to give grandma a heart attack?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 AM

I absolutely HAVE to do this for a few hours today! What a blast!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:47 AM

I actually did it for fun before it became an expirment..I'll continue to do it from time to time to break the montany of the grind.

Read my Blog about Poker and Life -- I'll try to entertain and enlighten..
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM

I did this last night at a .05/.10 limit table. Only one guy was getting mad at me. It's fun. I played for 2 hours and cashed out down .50 cents. Next time I will have to multi table. I was on a site that only allows single table play last night.

Try raising/reraising with junk and typing into chat what you have preflop..then bet/raise it the whole way regardless of the board.... After that someone will always go to showdown with you. Another great move is checkraising the river with 5 high when it's obvious there are hands like flushes/straights/sets out there. A couple guys started to really loosen up after I played like this for a while. One dude with about $1.50 at the table quadrupled up playing crap after he saw me doing it for a while haha
Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 AM

What was the experiment? Were you trying to prove something abotu luck vs. skill or something? Just curios.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 AM

I'm going to venture a guess as to why the tables broke.

The nano limit tables actually have a few different types of players. Good players who have dropped way down to mess around and have some fun are probably fewest in number. Then you have the recreationals, who just want to play and have some fun without losing a lot. Then you have folks who are actually trying to learn the game with minimal financial risk. They'll start with $25, play .02/.04 til they get to $50, move to .05/.10....etc.

They are beginners trying to learn, and prolly don't have the skills yet to deal with a maniac.....in this situation you. So they leave in search of a table that is a more comfortable "fit" for them. At the stage they are at, $2 is a significant step in BR building, whereas for someone like you just messing around it's chump change. But they want to keep building the roll, and not get hammered by someone playing very LAG when they haven't figured out how to handle that type of player yet. A few might hang in, seeing it as cheap experience in learning how to play in this sort of game.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:20 PM

Maybe the funny thing will be when you go back up to what you consider to be your highest limit, and then some dude comes along just for fun and does the same thing at your table.
The fact is that you can do that, and it's only a few cents, but like someone else said, for those who are trying to learn the game or who really don't have much money, it wouldn't be that much fun to have someone come in and run over the table.
Phil Hellmuth wrote an article about how he did that at a 4-8 HE table, played blind and raised every hand on every street = must have been a real fun table to be playing at if you're not into playing that way or your BR won't handle it.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the experiment?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many ways he can promote his stupid blog?