Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

The guy that got third was an [censored]. I would be uncomfortable with young kids at a game I was playing in. When I am playing in a home game drinking, smoking, and cursing are all part of my fun, and doing this in front of an 11 year old would make me uncomfortable.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Yea thats pretty bad. Ratting out an 8 year old playing in a charity event just because he finished ahead of you. Pretty weak.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:55 AM

I think they should at least be a somewhat mature teenager. It is true that depending on the group it can be a little adult for them or the adults to feel comfortable. Some group it would be acceptable for a teenager say 14-15 years on up. This can be a way of accepting them as adults, which can many rewards for the kids. It can also help teach them social interaction with adults that can help them as they get older. I have helped my nephews learn poker and have always played without reservation with them. When I have taken them to a tournament hosted by others I have cleared it with their parents and the game host. In addition, I do not allow them to drink. I always take extra time to teach responsibility and adult decision making so why should I differ.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 AM

ive played at a very casual home game with a few friends.
One of them (who doesn't even play in the game) has a 12 year old son who they let play in the game. He's actually done extremely well. out of 4 games that we've played he's actually made money 3 of those games. One of them was an 8 person tourney that he came in 2nd in. At first I thought it was cute but it's increasingly made me a little uncomfortable too and NOT because he's winning, lol. The reason is he's a huge fish and has been extrememly lucky. The one game he lost money in he was very upset/sad. I realized that a 12 year old doesn't really have the emotional capacity to fully deal with the ups and downs of the game (which can be brutal even when your a fully grown adult). The idea of introducing a 12 year old to gambling has struck me lately like introducing him to tobacco. It's a decision he should make when he's truly old enough to make that decision. It's a bit of a tough call but I think you made the right one. Often standing up for what you think is right can be a lonely decision. Good luck to you.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 AM

The home game we rotate places to play and one weekend my buddy lets his 13 yr old daughter play.She does great for the first five hours then becomes a real brat. she finisis 3rd . anyway the next game about 2weeks later she goes out 6 out of 10 and starts cussin like a sailer for being called with jacks and the guy hits a set on the turn (funnist damn thing I've ever seen at poker table)dad looks horrified,dads new girlfriend thinks he cant raise his kid (by this time I'm sure i pissed my pants)and we've not let anyone under 18 play again
Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 AM

Being 17 years old I am a minor, I play a homegame tourny every week where we play 3 tournaments where I finish 1st or 2nd about every game unless I catch some real bad beats. IMO I dont think you should discriminate just because someones not old enough to legally have a beer or whatnot you could miss playing with some very good players.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being 17 years old I am a minor, I play a homegame tourny every week where we play 3 tournaments where I finish 1st or 2nd about every game unless I catch some real bad beats. IMO I dont think you should discriminate just because someones not old enough to legally have a beer or whatnot you could miss playing with some very good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can find plenty of adults to play with that are very good. It's not a matter of discrimination in the sense that I might have something against 11 year olds in general, I've got 2 kids of my own that I love with all my heart... That doesn't mean that I want to play poker with them.
I just don't like the idea of playing poker with an 11 year old for a number of reasons. Several posts above have perfectly captured part of the problem that I had with the kid playing, that the kid would be a sore loser and from what I've heard from people that were at the game that's exactly what happened. Apparently the boy didn't throw a fit of any kind after he busted out but just sat in the corner on the verge of tears for the rest of the night because that was his last $10 and dad wasn't at all sympathetic towards him and wasn't going to give him anymore money (kudos for dad for trying to teach the boy a lesson about gambling: scared money loses). Well, the host of the game won the tourney and felt so bad for the kid that he gave him his buy in back out of his winings, not exactly fair to the rest of the field I think. I don't think much good can come from <18 year olds playing with adults
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can find plenty of adults to play with that are not very good. It's not a matter of discrimination in the sense that I might have something against 11 year olds in general as I know many with better math skills than some in my home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But in some seriousness, if losing his allowance inspires the kid to focus on math and science in middle school I think there's definitely some benefit. I also like the behavior of the Dad in this situation. I would be pissed at the host for soft-parenting someone else's child and teaching a really bad lesson about sulking.

I guess the only reason I would leave the game was if I felt I couldn't play aggressively against an 11 year old. Of course, I'm not a parent so I think I may have an easier time treating a kid just like any other dead money in the tournament. If you think this player will alter your playing style then you're perfectly justified in sitting out.

The other consideration is that you've broadcast to the group that you're probably more serious about the game than they are and that the composition of the game may cause you to tilt. If some guy brings his newbie girlfriend to play, would you also worry about hurt feelings and soften up your game?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Of course not. Since his ten dollars is as good as everyone elses, you have the right to not play either. Personally, I too believe that that is a little young to start gambling. For fun its alright, but other than that, it can wait. Plus, how great can you feel either taking a 11 year old's money, or losing to one?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can find plenty of adults to play with that are not very good. It's not a matter of discrimination in the sense that I might have something against 11 year olds in general as I know many with better math skills than some in my home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But in some seriousness, if losing his allowance inspires the kid to focus on math and science in middle school I think there's definitely some benefit. I also like the behavior of the Dad in this situation. I would be pissed at the host for soft-parenting someone else's child and teaching a really bad lesson about sulking.

I guess the only reason I would leave the game was if I felt I couldn't play aggressively against an 11 year old. Of course, I'm not a parent so I think I may have an easier time treating a kid just like any other dead money in the tournament. If you think this player will alter your playing style then you're perfectly justified in sitting out.

The other consideration is that you've broadcast to the group that you're probably more serious about the game than they are and that the composition of the game may cause you to tilt. If some guy brings his newbie girlfriend to play, would you also worry about hurt feelings and soften up your game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is well-taken, but I really don't feel like I need to practice putting a poker move on an 11-year old. I really don't want to all-in check raise his flush with my full house and then watch him cry in the corner the rest of the night. If I do that to one of my buddies, maybe there is curse word or two and then the table usually has a good laugh.

I play poker with my kids and other kids from the block, but it is never for real money and always for fun. I am trying to teach them the game and allow them to have a good time. They like handling the chips and making 'bets'. Most kids under 15 really do not have a concept of money.

The difference here is age and emotional make-up. If a buddy brought his newbie girlfriend or mother to the game, I'd have no problem playing them becasues they are adults. I have an 11-year old daughter who could probably hold her own in my fish-tank home game, but I would never entertain the thought of inviting her to play.

I respect those of you who disagree with me, but I wonder if anyone with school age kids thinks I'm out of line here?