Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Bellagio $30/$60, 92s

I post in the CO, folded to me and I raise after finding the powerhouse 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Only the BB calls. I’m new to the table, but from the 3 hands or so that I’ve watched he has been involved in two of them.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he 4-bets, I call.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets, I…???

Where do you go from here, and how did I do so far?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Bellagio $30/$60, 92s

IDK fire one more while your at it then fold...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from the 3 hands or so that I’ve watched he has been involved in two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he look like a loose player or a tight player?
Old, young, angry, happy, drinking, dressed sharp?

Did you 3-bet for value hoping to be called down by A-high?

That a good flop for you, and I would be tempted to call down after his CR.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 PM

I think you played it fine and I would fold the turn. Unless he's a maniac you have a maximum of 3 outs. If I knew more about him I would consider raising the turn, since the jack may well be an ugly card for him.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IDK fire one more while your at it then fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing...
Old 07-08-2005, 05:10 PM

this is one of those spots where your hand is quite vulnerable, and, no matter what the opponent has, you want him to fold.

The best way to acheive this is to keep the pot as small as possible, and make as big a bet as possible. This all points to calling the flop check-raise (keeps pot small) and raising the turn (makes large bet with threat of another large bet).

In addition to the "math" of the sitution, the typical reaction to the flop war is "he would wait with a king", so, against an unknown opponent, do that waiting.

This line is superior to calling down as a trap, because your hand is very vulnerable and there's not much in the way of cards to improve your hand. A deuce or nine would be nice, but they (esp. the nine) don't do a hell of a lot for you.

A twist on this is waiting for the river to (essentially) bluff raise. I don't like this approach in this hand only because you have zero read on his hand and he's not likely to fold a pair. This line works better when your opponent has reason to believe you really have a hand, and your hand is not so vulnerable to free cards.

Interesting hand - don't get to play 92s that often.

Dan Z.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he look like a loose player or a tight player?
Old, young, angry, happy, drinking, dressed sharp?

[/ QUOTE ]

30-40 yrs old probably, not dressed real sharp, I think he may have been having a beer, or looked the type that could do his share of drinking.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you 3-bet for value hoping to be called down by A-high?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wanted him to fold. I didn't believe he had a king after his initial check raise, but I wanted to fold out any overcards, small pocket pair, or whatever else he may have as my hand is very vulnerable if best, and if there is a showdown I'm probably a dog to be holding the winner.

When he continues to push hard, I have to re-evaluate the chances he has a king, or that he is leaning on me and is showdown bound with some other hand like TT, 99, that has me crushed.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM

haakee, I would later discover this guy was loose aggressive, and that he was playing a lot of hands.

I didn't include that in my post, since when I was dealt in I had only seen about 3 hands at the table, but I wish that I had that knowledge during the hand as I like raising the turn here against him. Obviously I think we can safely fold to a 3-bet, and probably take our free showdown on the river if called.

Anyway, I thought briefly...then folded the turn, he flashes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] as he rakes the pot. Ugh.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:54 PM

Nice analysis, thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine and I would fold the turn. Unless he's a maniac you have a maximum of 3 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you putting him on that leaves us with three outs? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Note that if he has (for example) 77, we have eight outs.