Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-25-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Internet account security interview with Lee Jones

[ QUOTE ]
don't they send you an email notifying you of a withdrawal from your account (Party hack thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was obvious from the last 100 hh's that he ordered that the culprit was on a joyride.

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:01 AM

Topics to ask about.

1) The blackmail attempts. Even though he won't go into specifics it is an interesting topic.

2) PS specific. Ask how they protect players from account hijacking. For example if I have played on PS from Sweden all the time, would someone from China be able to log on and play on my account. If yes, why?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, did they chip dump, gambool, or somehow cash out? If some chump hacked my accout for a joy ride I'd be pissed. If party sent my money to fort worth or some such I'd be furious!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not sure, as party won't repond to his requests for all the hh's but likely that he was joyriding.

[ QUOTE ]
ps. How can we get your show on the internets?

[/ QUOTE ]

The show is streamed live Sundays from 10pm to midnight PST at www.team1040.ca

Also, the archives can be found at my site. See my profile.

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 AM

I don't understand why they wont help him figure it out, clowns. Thanks for the info
Old 06-25-2005, 03:10 AM

ok Tuco.. you like to dissect people's posts (emails?) line by line... I know what that means. You don't like to argue theory or substance, you like to argue points (by point by point by point).

I think it's awesome Mr. Jones is going to come on to your show (whatever that is) and discuss internet security. I hope he tells people to make solid passwords and change them regularly. I hope you guys don't start some sort of hardware mechanism or mandatory password changes.

If you can't see the joke in my first post in this thread then you suck at the internet more than your buddy who has crappy passwords. I guess I cloaked it in too much decent advice. That was a pure form of internet sarcasm, all the way from the:

dear mister,

to the:

love,
me

Hell, that's circa 1999... Oh, and have a nice day! (yet another form of "thank you, drive through!")
Old 06-25-2005, 03:18 AM

Ok guys.. why should party be responsible for where you log from? I can see neteller getting a little sketchy about someone who obviously lives in say, Europe suddenly logging in from China, neteller is basically a bank. Why should party care?

As long as their database is secure I should be able to log in from wherever I am in the world and not have a problem.

A good option here is to allow any account holder to "lock down" their account to a certain location if they desire. Then, if it moves it gets tempbanned until a phone call/birthdate/mother's maiden name is completed.

This would probably be a pretty big PITA for the poker sites. What's a better solution? I'm thinking some sort of biometric signature would be easier for everyone, although the users would have to buy a fingerprint scanner and the poker sites would have to buy and write some software to pull it off. If you're worried about a simple password security protecting your thousands of dollars it may be worth it though... what's $75, right?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't like to argue theory or substance, you like to argue points (by point by point by point).

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy arguing theory and substance but you didn't offer either, other than what I had already opined. I also enjoy point by point discussions cause it forces the adversary to actually build a case.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he tells people to make solid passwords and change them regularly. I hope you guys don't start some sort of hardware mechanism or mandatory password changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he will. I don't actually believe that our little show would spark a large change in the internet poker landscape, but discussion is never a bad thing. Don't know why you are against extra security such as changing passwords, but as someone that regularily has 30K plus in my poker account I welcome anything that will make it more likely that my money will still be there in the morning. Yes, it's saving me from myself but i've certainly done dumber things that have an easy password in my life.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't see the joke in my first post in this thread then you suck at the internet more than your buddy who has crappy passwords

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering I told you that your first post wasn't funny, I saw the joke. Just thought that you could do better.

Anyway, thanks for the well-wishes. It's been fun. Hope we find a real topic to debate one day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys.. why should party be responsible for where you log from? I can see neteller getting a little sketchy about someone who obviously lives in say, Europe suddenly logging in from China, neteller is basically a bank. Why should party care?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should care because a customer that is stolen from is an unhappy customer. And the unhappiness is even larger by them not particularly caring to communicate with their customers.

And sooner or later there will be someone who will make a lot of mainstream noice about this. And when the general public begins to doubt the safety of online poker it is bad for all of us and not just the guy that was stolen from.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:33 AM

oh man, Freudian... don't you think ebay and amazon have already gone through this? I was there when everyone said, "I don't want to use my CC on the internet, it's not SAFE!" We made it safe and now it's just SOP man. All with just a password. Hopefully a good password.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should party care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, considering my friend has now switched to stars, they will lose customers if the player thinks that security is better at another site. Yes, we both know it was his fault, but the person who was hacked won't care, they just won't go back to that site from the bad taste. It's like anything in a competative market like internet poker, do it better than your rival and you will gain marketshare.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as their database is secure I should be able to log in from wherever I am in the world and not have a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one said that you should have a problem, just an extra level of secuirty is all. What's the difference between your Neteller account and your poker account? At the end of the day they both just contain money.

[ QUOTE ]
A good option here is to allow any account holder to "lock down" their account to a certain location if they desire. Then, if it moves it gets tempbanned until a phone call/birthdate/mother's maiden name is completed.

[/ QUOTE ]

See? I knew you had it in you! This is the best idea i've heard so far. The biometric one is a bit extreme, but keep 'em coming!

Tuco.