Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Internet account security interview with Lee Jones

We are delighted to have Lee Jones back on the radio show Sunday night to talk about internet account security.

The genesis of this was my co-host Mike Johnson having his partypoker account cleaned out by someone who either hacked his account, or more likely guessed his password.

He had a little over $4000 stolen from him. Discussion with Party regarding investigation or responsibility have met with party's usual response, silence. More than a dozen calls and emails have gone unanswered. Not surprising.

Anyway, does anyone have any specific questions for Lee on this topic, such as how to improve or alter the current level of personal account security? If so, post the questions or concerns here and I will use the best ones for the interview.

Thanks.

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Internet account security interview with Lee Jones

I would like to have the option to have one of those portable "SecureID" things for my account. It is a little thing about the size of a key chain that they would mail to you, with a 6 digit number that changes every 15 seconds or so. You would need to enter this 6 digit number as well as your password when you log into the site. Now if a hacker gets your password, he still can't get into your account, unless he manages to break into your house and steal the secureid as well. Why every poker site does not provide this option is beyond me. I would be willing to pay for it. Neteller and other online services should offer the same as well, it is going to end up being the only way we can really beat identity theft.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:36 AM

Dear Lee:

Why can't people grasp the concept of secure password creation? Why do they keep the same passwords for years? Can you really protect the people who suck at the internet?

Love,
smoore
Old 06-25-2005, 02:41 AM

Dude,

If you are going after the niche of internet smartass, you are really going to have to do better than this.

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Lee:

Why can't people grasp the concept of secure password creation? Why do they keep the same passwords for years? Can you really protect the people who suck at the internet?

Love,
smoore

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe what you are referring to. Don't sites like Party and Eurobet make it hard to crack someone's code in that you have to enter the account ID + password, where the account ID is not the same as your screenname?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:44 AM

I'm already a smartass

So you're basically making a discussion about people not being able to generate passwords sufficient to protect themselves?

Either that or party got hacked.

Your buddy lost his money because someone either guessed his password or knew him. It's normal. I'm surprised Mr. Jones is even going to participate in this.

Thank you, drive through.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:46 AM

Just curious, did they chip dump, gambool, or somehow cash out? If some chump hacked my accout for a joy ride I'd be pissed. If party sent my money to fort worth or some such I'd be furious!

ps. How can we get your show on the internets?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Lee:

Love,
smoore

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe what you are referring to. Don't sites like Party and Eurobet make it hard to crack someone's code in that you have to enter the account ID + password, where the account ID is not the same as your screenname?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but this stuff isn't exactly rocket surgery. If I can see your computer, I can probably get your username. If I can then find out some off-the-wall password (your 2+2 password, your webmail password) that's stored somewhere on your computer I can try it and others a couple times to get into some more secure accounts. Now I have your ass.

Bottom line? Make money passwords unique. Make each one unique. Make your neteller|firepay|whatever the most unique of them all.

Most people that get "hacked" have poor passwords and almost no idea of internet security. I was just a smartass about saying that.

edit: don't store these passwords electronically, ever. write them down on a slip of paper and put them in your wallet. consider the fact that you are carrying around the key to your *entire* bankroll in your wallet. guard it with your life... or at least guard it with the time it would take you to go change those passwords... don't give up your life if you think you could make that change.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm already a smartass

[/ QUOTE ]

And like I said, not a very good one.

[ QUOTE ]
So you're basically making a discussion about people not being able to generate passwords sufficient to protect themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. The discussion will mostly revolve around what can be done to improve account security. For example, if a player logs in from a different IP address than they usually do, then the site would go to level two of their account security and ask the player for their mother's maiden name etc. Also, maybe the site could require players to change their passwords weekly. I really would like to see poker sites at least get to a level of security that Neteller uses.

[ QUOTE ]
Your buddy lost his money because someone either guessed his password or knew him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you figure this out from me telling you that is what likely happened in the OP?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised Mr. Jones is even going to participate in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're suprised that Lee is willing to talk about ways to improve his site? Apparently you don't know much about him.

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, drive through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, your clumsy wit should have clued me in to the fact that you work at a drivethrough. Can I have a double double with a chocolate shake please?

Tuco.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 AM

don't they send you an email notifying you of a withdrawal from your account (Party hack thing).